1. Surround yourself with peers who inspire you
The last two days, Cindy and I spent intense time with our two really good friends Jenae Cohn and Kevin Schenthal, and I’ve had a massive boost of creative energy. Our super deep conversations were like atoms colliding together– it was through this random chaos we’ve been able to brain-storm so many awesome and epic ideas.
For example with Kevin, some new interests he inspired me with:
Jenae has taught me with her projects on educational technology (ed-tech) which has given me insane amounts of new ideas.
You will probably get better creative ideas by mixing up new and random ideas. For example, I got insane amounts of inspiration from Kevin by his interests in mathematics, geometry, deep learning, and statistics. I studied mostly humanities (sociology, psychology, philosophy) in school– and it is by ‘cross-pollinating‘ that I was able to come up with new ideas such as:
- How to See Like a Machine (Machine Learning x Photography)
- Open Source Photography (Open Source information x Photography)
- Why AI (Artificial Intelligence) is Good for Photographers! (AI x Photography)
3. Passion projects
Your life is short; memento mori.
Thus, I suggest the best way to effectively leverage your human metabolism is to only work on things you’re passionate about. Don’t worry about fame, impact, or money. Better to make a meaningful and deep impact on a few individuals, than to mildly impact many people.
4. Shoot for the moon!
Be like TESLA, Elon Musk, Space X: Shoot for the moon!
Or like my friend Kanye West said:
“Shoot for the stars, so if you fall you land on a cloud.”
I’ve discovered that in life, the higher you shoot, the more you will achieve. Better shoot for the moon and fail, than to attempt mediocre goals and achieving them.
5. Don’t take yourself too seriously
The height of wisdom is to be like a child, playing with rocks, by the sea-shore (in the philosophy of Empedocles). All is in a state of flux and change; it is your duty as a human to create new things which empower other people. But don’t take yourself too seriously. Don’t fall victim to ‘paralysis by analysis‘ and prevent you from experimenting, trying out new things, and building new innovative things and platforms!
This is what inspired me to build ARSBETA.COM — as a fun creative experiment.
Don’t take yourself too seriously. Never stop playing, having creative experiments, and remember– you’re always in a state of beta.
Re-spark your creative fire
Just shoot it:
- How to Have Inspiration to Take Photos in the Suburbs
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- The Film Shooter
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
MUSE by KIM
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169