Currently in the suburbs of LA, and of course it isn’t as “fun” or “interesting” as when I am traveling and living nomadically. But how can one stay inspired and keep shooting, regardless of where they live?
Some basic ideas:
1. The fault isn’t the city.
First of all, no matter how interesting your city, you will always get bored of it. This is because psychologically we have ‘hedonic adaptation’ — we aways adapt to our environment. So even if you lived in NYC, Tokyo, Kyoto, Saigon, etc– you will get “used to it” no matter what, and will always lose inspiration to take photos.
Thus, don’t fall into the sucker trap of thinking to yourself:
Oh, if I only lived in a more interesting city or place, I’d be always inspired to take photos!
I actually believe we must train ourselves, and have discipline to find photos regardless of where we are!
A simple tip: Always carry your camera with you wherever you go, like a necklace or a bracelet. Pick up an HENRI SHOULDER STRAP or an HENRI WRIST STRAP (PRO) and make the extra effort to always have your camera with you! To be honest even with me — I have to make an effort to always have the camera with me. And the truth is, the more I have my camera on my wrist or around my neck, the more photos I see!
As an exercise, try this out: Whenever you leave the house, always have the camera on your wrist or on your neck. And see if this allows you to ‘see more’ photos to shoot!
2. Ask yourself, *why* do I want to make photos?
Make photos for yourself. You must discover what your own self-motivator is to making photos.
For myself, I am driven by this concept of ‘visual sociology‘ — I want to make photos for a greater purpose– to critique, analyze, and hopefully change society.
I have been doing this in the suburbs by photographing what I think is fucked up. For example, how the Lottery targets low-income folks.
Don’t make photos for Instagram — make photos for some greater social purpose– something greater than yourself!
3. Shooting ideas
Basic ideas to shoot more in the suburbs:
- Shoot inside restaurants, bars, coffee shops, the mall, or grocery stores (I like Walmart Street Photography)
- Use the smallest, most convenient camera for yourself: This might be a RICOH GR II or just your phone. Give a big middle-finger to this notion of ‘image quality’.
- In my eyes, it is better to take a bad photo than no photo. This means, allow yourself to take bad photos! You might need to shoot 10,000 photos to just make 1 good one!
SUBURB STREET PHOTOGRAPHY
Some recent photos I’ve been shooting in the ‘burbs of LA:
1. Lumix G9 + Eric Kim PRESETS
2. Lumix G9 Black and White Film Simulation
New firmware update for the Lumix G9, for black and white film simulation. Some tests:
Why I like color
Ultimately, I think I will stick more to color– because color introduces more fun variables, which is a fun challenge! To think of color, hue, and tone are just additional variables which make photography more exciting for me!
Just shoot it:
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
MUSE by KIM
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- The Film Shooter
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
Street Photography Starter Kit