Some very practical photo assignments for you:
- Grocery store photo project: Go to the grocery store with your camera (RICOH GR III, RICOH GR II) or just your phone. Photograph whatever you see and witness! For example– photograph the empty shelves, strangers, or any other street scenes. Treat yourself like a documentation of history. If there is hysteria in the local Costco, go buy some food and also photograph whatever you see!
- Photograph or video-record your morning routine. For example my 20 minute morning routine. Go to bed with your camera next to you. When you wake up, immediately start recording your morning routine. And/or photograph it! Then re-watch your morning routine. It is really fascinating to observe for yourself!
- Upload your #1 best photo to arsbeta.com, and also give feedback to at least 3 other photographers in the community. Treat your ARS profile a chance to curate your portfolio of your best photos.
- Watch one of your favorite films on your laptop, and screenshot whatever scenes you like. For example see my Cinema articles. I recently watched “I am Legend” and loved it. Another recommendation: “Oldboy” (the 2003 Korean film). Another good one is ‘Snowpiercer‘ (you can see it on Netflix here). Then sketch on top of the screenshots to analyze your favorite compositions.
- Photograph emptiness. Take a quick walk or run around the block, and photograph emptiness. The goal is to make photos WITHOUT PEOPLE! This can be particularly interesting if you live in a big city. Don’t spend too much time doing it — it can be done in 15 minutes. Upload your interesting photos to ARS.
- Photograph your friends, family members, or your roommates. Make artistic portraits of them! Use a flash, or natural light. Shoot them against interesting light. Photograph them against the window, or in the bathroom. Be creative with your lighting!
- Photograph textures. Photograph ‘macro‘ photos of any random stuff at home. Get hyper-close. Shoot whatever you find interesting. For great macro, use your phone, or use RICOH GR III (great macro), or RICOH GR II (macro + flash).
- Build your own photography website. Signup on bluehost.com or 1and1.com, and install wordpress.org. Make a portfolio of your best 20 photos. Then share a link with friends and family!
Remember — life is currently the best ‘creative constraint’ right now. Given all these constraints in your life, how can you maximize your creativity?
Seek to supersede yourself and become more!
- Tabula Rasa, Blank Slate, Carte Blanche
- LIFE IS THE ULTIMATE RPG
- HYPER VIGOR
- FRESH AIR PHOTOS
- WHO IS GONNA THRIVE IN TODAY’S BRAVE NEW WORLD?
- ARTISTIC OPTIMISM
- PASSION, not Discipline
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- The Empowering Feeling of Failure
- To Be Human is to Move
- Enjoy the Process
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- Why Keep Making New Art and Photos, Indefinitely?
- Photography Motivation: What if There is Nothing Interesting to Photograph?
- Move First, Motivation Later
- Motivation Follows the Action
- In Praise of Heroes
- 5 Tips How to Boost Your Creativity
- How to Have Inspiration to Take Photos in the Suburbs
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
MUSE by KIM
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- The Film Shooter
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
Street Photography Starter Kit
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290