I think today, we need heroes, role models, and people we want to emulate more than ever.
To me, a hero can be a real person in history (living or dead), or fictional. The basic idea is this:
A hero as a Demi-god like human being, with extra-ordinary valor, strength, courage, and bravery. Generally fighting for a certain cause or side. No shame in death while fighting (only shame in death when fighting was cowardice). The fallen heroes of both the Greek and Trojan sides were seen as equally valorous.
What I like the notion of hero is this:
Anyone can become a hero, if they have enough courage or valor.
However, you cannot dictate whether you will be ‘successful’ or not. Why? An ingredient of your success is fortune, and whether the gods favor your or not. There were many heroes who got killed in the Iliad NOT because they weren’t good fighters. Many heroes died simply because they lost the favor of the gods.
What about free will?
Then comes the question:
What is the point of being brave and courageous, if I might still lose (granted the gods aren’t on my side?)
My thought is this:
In order to succeed, you need BOTH courage AND fortune (luck).
Also, the MORE COURAGE and bravery you put forth, the MORE likely you are to succeed.
The equation of success
The Quantum of your Courage * Luck = Your Likelihood of Success
I don’t really think you can control much of the ‘luck’ factor (whether you were born privileged, what county or city you were raised in, or the opportunities which come your way).
However as an adult, we can expose ourselves to certain lifestyle choices which expose ourselves to more opportunities, more chances, and to build our network.
So in other words, we can control our success far more than we think we can! But– there will always be a luck factor (lady fortune). But alas, this is life!
Long story short, good to have a list of heroes you desire to emulate. Look at Plutarch’s heroes (anyone he mentions in his book, ‘Lives of the noble Grecians and Romans‘)
Looking up to heroes should motivate us, inspire us, and help encourage us to attempt epic things. However there are a lot of heroes who ‘failed’ (Nikola Tesla, Vincent Van Gogh) and whom never got acclaim or success in their lifetimes. But this should not discourage us. We fight for valor, for humanity, and for the values we believe in.
Never stop fighting!
- 5 Tips How to Boost Your Creativity
- How to Have Inspiration to Take Photos in the Suburbs
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.