Not a matter of discipline, but something else?
We often berate ourselves for not being “disciplined” enough for x, y, z — but perhaps this is the wrong way of thinking.
When we think of ‘discipline’, we think that we are being disciples of someone and following in their footsteps. Following their moral code of ethics and such.
But if you’re following yourself, perhaps it isn’t discipline we are seeking. Instead, to prize ourselves and to prefer ourselves over others.
For example, I don’t need “discipline” to go to the gym everyday (or several times a day). It is my passion. I love it for the sake of it! In fact, I try to figure out ways to modify my life IN ORDER for me to go to the gym whenever I want. This isn’t discipline — it is passion.
Another idea– blogging. I don’t have to force myself to write everyday. In fact, I blog because it is my passion. I never force myself to write. The words simply stream out of my body and soul! It is my passion– it is my play, and it is the way I expel my creative force.
The passion of photography and image-making
If you gotta force yourself to go out and photos — perhaps you’re doing it wrong.
Discover new mysteries in photography
Perhaps our main discouragement in photography is this:
We feel we have no more NEW mysteries to discover.
But perhaps this can be the root of our artistic optimism?
Seek to supersede yourself and become more!
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- The Empowering Feeling of Failure
- To Be Human is to Move
- Enjoy the Process
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- Why Keep Making New Art and Photos, Indefinitely?
- Photography Motivation: What if There is Nothing Interesting to Photograph?
- Move First, Motivation Later
- Motivation Follows the Action
- In Praise of Heroes
- 5 Tips How to Boost Your Creativity
- How to Have Inspiration to Take Photos in the Suburbs
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.