If you want to succeed as an entrepreneur — realize, INFLUENCE is the most important thing to cultivate.
Succeed in an oversaturated world of photographers with MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER.
What is influence?
INFLUENCE: ability to change the mind of someone else.
I believe that influence is more important than money. Why? If you have influence, you can eventually monetize whatever you do.
Take for example Google: they weren’t profitable for many years. Rather, they worked hard to becoming the #1 search provider, and once they were able to gain 90%+ influential market share, they had enough power and control to monetize their services.
Thus as a practical entrepreneur strategy:
First seek to gain influence, then monetize later.
Create your own culture and trends
Influence is also being a taste-maker, and being able to create certain trends, concepts, and ideas that will change the minds of others.
Influence is powerful, because instead of chasing trends, we can create our own trends.
What do we really want?
To me, I think that as entrepreneurs and human beings, people who are money-hungry are actually power-hungry. Money is just a tool to exert power– exerting power over others, and exerting power and control over yourself.
How to become more influential
To start off, if you want to be an ‘influencer’ or an influential entrepreneur — here are some principles and ideas:
- Own your own platform: Build your own website, blog, forum, or community. Don’t be a social-media sharecropper– meaning, don’t just try to become an ‘influencer’ on Facebook, Instagram, or even YouTube. The problem is that these “free” social media platforms are controlled by algorithms, owned by these companies– something we have no control over. By owning your own platform, you are able to have more control.
- Have a grand idea you believe in: To meaningfully differentiate yourself from others, you must have an all-encompassing and grand vision you truly believe in. For example, my passion in life is “open source photography”— keeping my information open and free, in order to empower other creatives and artists.
- Don’t Be boring: It is far better to be controversial and polarizing than to be boring. If you’re boring, and don’t have strong opinions, you will lack interest, and it will be difficult to build a loyal following. Don’t worry about being politically correct, or seeking to make everyone happy. Instead, seek to strongly state your own opinion, be brutally honest, and have the courage to share your own ideas.
Influence takes time
For myself, it probably took at least five years of dedicated work before I was able to cultivate a loyal following, and to build influence in the photography world.
Influence is more than numbers
The sad truth is that the only reason camera companies and businesses reach out to you for marketing, advertising, or branding ideas is because they know you have a loyal audience — and they hope to leverage your audience to make them more dollars. This is often manifested through “social proof”— companies will judge your influence by how many followers and likes you have.
But realize that influence is more than numbers. To me, I think that it is better to have 1 loyal fan who truly believes in your mission statement than 1,000 fans who only mildly believe in what you believe in.
Unfortunately, there is no tool we can use to measure whether someone is a “true fan” or not. A “true fan” might purchase your products, or spread the news about you with their social circle. I don’t think we can put a dollar amount on the heads of our “true followers”, just as we cannot quantify what “trust” means.
But ultimately, the purpose of influence is to build trust. Trust is the timeless ingredient of success in all entrepreneurial endeavors in history.
In the ancient marketplaces and souks of traditional cultures, or in trade — you were only able to succeed if you were able to cultivate trust with others. And once again, trust building can take years, sometimes even decades.
In today’s modern world, these “big brands” have been able to build a loyal customer base with decades of effective marketing and advertising, and by putting out consistently good quality products.
Conclusion: Play the long game
So friend, don’t be in such a rush to quickly monetize your passion in photography. My suggestion is to focus on building your influence, which is manifested through trust.
Realize it can take years and sometimes even decades to build influence and trust. Don’t be in such a hurry. Just work steadily, gradually, and don’t betray your own inner voice for quick gains.
Aim for the long game.
The Modern Photographer: Tips, Strategies, and Tactics to Thrive as a Visual Artist in the Digital Age
Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success
MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER is your new philosophical and practical primer to succeed as a modern photographer in today’s digital world.
How to Monetize Your Photography
- Should I Monetize My Passion for Photography?
- 10 Practical Photography Monetization Strategies: Pricing, Google SEO, & Entrepreneurship
- How to Make Money From Street Photography
Why Become a Photography Entrepeneur?
Take control of your own photographic destiny:
THE MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER
- CREATIVE CAPITALISM
- How to Monetize Your Photography
- 5 Practical Photography Career Tips and Advice
- 10x Thinking
- How to Hustle as a Photographer
- How to Become Your Own Master Marketer
- The ‘T’ Technique of Success
- Go Ahead and Sell Out
- What is Your Unique Voice?
- Why You Must Self-Promote Yourself
- What is Your Unique Angle as a Photographer?
- Photography Content Marketing 101
- Why You Must Become Your Own Publisher
- The Art of Cross-Pollination in Photography
Photography Entrepreneurship Articles
- Why You Shouldn’t Trust Your Pictures to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Flickr
- How to Make Money From Your Photography
- Photography SEO and Blogging: How to Become Number One on Google
- Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Motivation
- Now is the Best Time to Be a Photographer
- What Is The Value of a Picture?
- Your Photographic Labor is Not Free
PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPS 101
- Chapter 1. How to Make a Photography Blog
- Chapter 2. How to Price Yourself
- Chapter 3. How to Find Your Market
- Chapter 4. Why Teach Workshops?
- Chapter 5. How to Build Trust
- Chapter 6. How to Market Yourself
- Chapter 7: Why Should Someone Attend Your Workshop?
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- Why You Must Be a “Personality” in Order to Succeed
- THRIVE OR DIE.
- Impatience is a Virtue
- Create Your Own Category
- HOW TO DREAM BIG.
- Will Not or Cannot?
- Why Not?
- How to Think BIG
- How to Stay Ahead of the Curve
- How to Invest in Yourself
- The Two Camera Rule
- MEANINGFUL DIFFERENTIATION
- Advice For College Students
- How to Thrive in Uncertain Times
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why Have More Followers?
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks
How to Save Money
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.