A theory: to succeed in today’s capitalist economy, you must be creative.
MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success.
1. Why did Apple win?
For example, I think the reason that Apple has beat Microsoft is that Apple was a much more creative company.
Apple has the DNA of artists — they seek to simplify, where’s Microsoft seeks to complicate and make more complex.
Apple also helps empower millions of artists and creatives around the world — they create tools (devices like their MacBook laptops, their iPads, iPhones) and creative software (iMovie, garage band, Final Cut Pro, logic x) which allow individuals to CREATE artwork.
2. Creativity is good money
Creative capitalism is this:
Make money in today’s capitalist economy, by empowering regular individuals to be more creative.
The most creative companies and products are the ones that will succeed.
For example, HAPTIC INDUSTRIES is a creative visual company — a company that seeks to make tools to empower individuals to be more creative (books to be creative every day, or photographic equipment that encourages photographers to make more photos).
3. You can cultivate your creativity
As an aside, I want to distinguish between “creative” as being resourceful, and “creative” as making stuff.
- Creativity: the mental trait and character to come up with novel solutions to difficult problems.
- Creative: Productive as an artist, to CREATE a lot of stuff.
To be clear, “creativity” isn’t some trait that you’re either born with or not. I think creativity is like a muscle — something that grows stronger the more you practice your visual muscles, and something that gets weaker or atrophies when you don’t use it.
For example, treat your photography and visual art like muscles. You must use it or lose it. Do daily visual pushups by studying any form of visual art, and always push yourself — muscles only grow when we stress and challenge our muscles.
Conclusion: Creative principles to succeed in today’s world
If you’re a photographer to succeed in today’s world,
- Make more creative photos, that stand out — photos that don’t look like the photos of others. An idea, if you’re a wedding or portrait photographer, don’t just take pretty “bokeh” photos shot wide open. Be like NEIL TA — combine and cross-pollinate street photography with wedding photography.
- Empower your clients: as a photography workshop instructor, I seek to empower my students, to have more confidence to make photos in street photography, to overcome hesitation, and to have more creative confidence. Any service you offer that empowers your client in terms of their creativity is a good thing.
- Make sure design and art is part of your company DNA: don’t just make functional products, make them beautiful. Make your website as beautiful and aesthetically pleasing as possible, but also make sure it is functional and usable. As Einstein said, make it as simple as possible, but not any simpler.
How do you stand out as a photographer in today’s fragmented and over saturated digital world? Pick up a copy of MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER, and learn practical and philosophical tools to empower yourself.
The Modern Photographer: Tips, Strategies, and Tactics to Thrive as a Visual Artist in the Digital Age
Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success
MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER is your new philosophical and practical primer to succeed as a modern photographer in today’s digital world.
Why Become a Photography Entrepeneur?
Take control of your own photographic destiny:
THE MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER
- How to Monetize Your Photography
- 5 Practical Photography Career Tips and Advice
- 10x Thinking
- How to Hustle as a Photographer
- How to Become Your Own Master Marketer
- The ‘T’ Technique of Success
- Go Ahead and Sell Out
- What is Your Unique Voice?
- Why You Must Self-Promote Yourself
- What is Your Unique Angle as a Photographer?
- Photography Content Marketing 101
- Why You Must Become Your Own Publisher
- The Art of Cross-Pollination in Photography
Photography Entrepreneurship Articles
- Why You Shouldn’t Trust Your Pictures to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Flickr
- How to Make Money From Your Photography
- Photography SEO and Blogging: How to Become Number One on Google
- Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Motivation
- Now is the Best Time to Be a Photographer
- What Is The Value of a Picture?
- Your Photographic Labor is Not Free
PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPS 101
- Chapter 1. How to Make a Photography Blog
- Chapter 2. How to Price Yourself
- Chapter 3. How to Find Your Market
- Chapter 4. Why Teach Workshops?
- Chapter 5. How to Build Trust
- Chapter 6. How to Market Yourself
- Chapter 7: Why Should Someone Attend Your Workshop?
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- Why You Must Be a “Personality” in Order to Succeed
- THRIVE OR DIE.
- Impatience is a Virtue
- Create Your Own Category
- HOW TO DREAM BIG.
- Will Not or Cannot?
- Why Not?
- How to Think BIG
- How to Stay Ahead of the Curve
- How to Invest in Yourself
- The Two Camera Rule
- MEANINGFUL DIFFERENTIATION
- Advice For College Students
- How to Thrive in Uncertain Times
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why Have More Followers?
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks