To continue PHOTOGRAPHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP 101, let’s talk about EXTREME ABUNDANCE in photography, and modern economics.
The world is a fucking amazing place to be in.
We have the internet. Cheap smartphones. Cheap laptops, and cheap cameras.
We have the sum of all human knowledge, accessible via our finger tips and Google.
The world is full of extreme abundance, and the pie for the economy and photography is just growing.
There ain’t no competition in photography.
I go against other economists, when I say:
The economic pie is unlimited, and grows bigger everyday.
I like physics. I personally believe the universe is constantly expanding. This is good. It is optimistic.
If the universe is constantly expanding, us humans will always have infinite galaxies to explore. Spaceship Earth is just one of the planets that we can inhabit.
Anyways, if you believe the universe is constantly expanding and there is an expanding economic pie, this means you can win.
You can build a photography business, and in theory make millions of dollars.
Money is just a man made system, based on faith in human government and banks.
Money is just a tool, for you to buy food, pay rent, and your coffee.
Your potential as an entrepreneur today is fucking phenomenal.
- Fast and free wifi is everywhere. Just order a coffee at a coffee shop, and plug into the wifi.
- Google Photos offers free unlimited photo backup. This means, no more need to buy expensive storage.
- Making your own website is cheap (1and1.com and WordPress.org). If you blog a lot, you can get to the top of Google search results for FREE. That means you don’t gotta spend a dime on marketing.
- High end digital cameras are cheap. If you want to be a professional photographer, just buy a used Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 35mm f/1.4 Lens (also used) and buy a YN flash. You can make good photos, and charge money for it.
- Capitalist economy: we are dependent on advertising to sell shit. Good images to sell stuff is more important today than ever.
You have an infinite amount of opportunities today as a photography entrepreneur.
The world ain’t over-saturated (yet).
The truth is, our eyeballs are constantly being assaulted by advertisements, images, smartphone games, and the “value” of an image isn’t worth much.
However, valuable images are worth a lot.
For example, if you make a very good image of a Rolls-Royce, and if it helps Rolls-Royce sell 50 cars, that one image is worth a LOT.
Your economic value as a photographer is to be judged by your POTENTIAL.
For example, Amazon makes a tiny profit. But their long term goal is to dominate the planet. Jeff Bezos is playing the long game. So investors pour millions into Amazon, for promises of “monopoly profits” a decade forward. The investors are investing in the future POTENTIAL of Amazon.
How do you value yourself as a photographer and entrepreneur?
For me, I know I am worth millions. I don’t have millions (yet), but I know I’m an expert on images and photography. With 7 billion people with a smartphone (with a camera) that is potentially an audience of 7 billion people I can influence.
Let me do some hypothetical math.
Let’s say I can realistically tap into 1% of those 7 billion people.
1% of 7 billion is 70 million.
That is 70 million people I am looking at.
Let’s say I can add $10 of “value” to 70 million people.
That is $700 million dollars.
So in the lifetime of ERIC KIM, I see my potential net worth of potential value being $700 million. Not that far behind Jay-Z and Beyoncé.
Of course that doesn’t mean I will earn that much money in my life. But that’s what I value myself, my time, and my life.
ERIC KIM x CINDY NGUYEN IS WORTH $700 MILLION
Or at least that what I think in my mind, to not waste my money with small money. Only aim for BIG money.
Four. Keep expanding and growing.
See yourself like an Amoeba. They consume resources, and grow.
But to grow, you need to consume more resources.
If you want bigger muscles, you need to eat more meat or (what they call for now), protein.
What is your intellectual protein? For me, it is consuming meaty ideas on achievement, power, and influence. I don’t read stuff from suckers.
I aspire to great heights. I hold in high esteem Kanye, Jay-Z, Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Picasso.
I don’t want to be just a normal human. I want to be Nietzsche’s “over-man”– someone who surpasses his humanity. I want to become Superman. Or perhaps more realistically Batman, all black, helping humanity, and being very rich.
There is a saying, “You are the average of the 5 closest people to you.” I agree.
Who are those five people in your life? And who are your five heroes that you admire? That will determine your future success.
Don’t seek to life to just stay alive. Rather, THRIVE.
Life is fucking short and cruel. Why waste it with bullshit?
I was sick of my cancerous dad, so I cut him out of my life like a toxic tumor. I’m healthier now. I feel better and so does my immediate loved ones.
I want to avoid boredom in life. I take bigger risks. I don’t fear going broke. I don’t care about my “reputation” or my “needs”– all I care about are my virtuous DEEDS.
My deeds: I want to contribute more open source information to empower others. I want to make lots of money, to use money as a tool to help more people. I want to ultimately sacrifice myself for the collective, like my buddy Jesus.
I sit on the shoulder of giants. Yet, I want to take it further. I want to contribute to the wave of greatness that came before me. Even if it means making a splash in the massive ocean of human existence.
Why? So many have helped me. It is my duty to give back.
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- Why You Should Make Money With Your Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks
How to Save Money
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.