We cannot change reality, but we can change ourselves.
1. No excuses
First of all, no excuses. If you really do want to change your life, you cannot make excuses.
Why? By making an excuse, you are saying that someone else has power over you. If you believe you have full control over your fate, you will never make an excuse.
Now, there are things you might refuse to do in life. That’s not making an excuse. That is declaring that you refuse to follow the rules of others, and you are asserting that you don’t want to do something.
To clarify, there are some things you are able to do, but unwilling to do. You need to differentiate the two.
Consider, a life without excuses. Wouldn’t you feel so much more empowered, optimistic, and excited for the future?
2. Believe in your own value
For myself, I do genuinely believe that I have billions of dollars worth of value inside me. I’m studying the philosophy of photography and image making. Images control our society. 1 billion iPhones have been sold, which means that 1 billion photographers exist. And down the line, eventually all 7 billion people on planet earth will own an iPhone. You can buy an iPad for $330. There is already a brand new iPhone you can buy for $395. Eventually you can buy an iPhone for $199. Everyone will be able to afford one, one day.
I think I have a billion dollars worth of value inside myself. That doesn’t mean I will earn a billion dollars. But I don’t sell myself cheap. And I see myself highly in my eyes.
Whenever I write something or share ideas, I am doing it as if it can influence 1 billion photographers. Therefore, I have massive ambitions. The great thing with the internet, my words and ideas aren’t held down by gravity or the laws of physics. In theory, 1 billion people can indeed read the blog posts here. I’ve already had over 1 million (combined) views of my YouTube videos. Why not 1 billion page views for this blog?
Lesson: Think and dream big.
3. You already have all the tools necessary.
An excuse I used to make: my tools aren’t good enough. My camera, phone, tablet, laptop isn’t good enough.
Now, I realize I’m the excuse. Meaning, my tools don’t falter. Only I falter.
Whenever I lack creativity or innovation, only I am to blame. If I take radical, 100% responsibility for my life, my reality, and my condition, I have complete power.
To dream big: refuse to let reality tyrannize and control you. Rather, think that purely with your mind, your will, and your hands…you can shape reality. Steve Jobs and his “reality distortion field” (watch Star Trek).
4. Love science fiction
To dream bigger, watch more science fiction movies. Or read science fiction books. We need more crazy idealistic, utopian dreams of the future to dream bigger.
Elon Musk loves science fiction. So do I.
I grew up to Star Wars. I dreamed of flying cars. Now I’m disappointed, we just have smartphones. Seriously, that is it? I’m always disappointed with innovations in today’s world. This discontentment is what drive me forward… to be the change I wish to see in the world.
Consider, what would be your utopian dream of the future? Dream big.
Dreaming without action is useless. How to take action in your life:
- Stop talking, start building: Start building your empire today, brick by brick. Start your own website (bluehost.com and make WordPress.org website). Start publishing things on your own platform. Your own blog. Stop using Instagram and Facebook.
- Invest in yourself: Don’t waste thousands of dollars in speculative companies. Invest in yourself, by buying books that will empower your mind. Use money as “research and development” to tinker with. The best investment I recently made, $100 for a “Forum engine” theme for the ERIC KIM FORUM. I am starting to make lots of small bets, for a few big wins.
- Play: Tinker. Break shit apart, and put it back together. Break apart your phone. Jailbreak it. Root it. Install a new operating system. Find an old car, and put in a new engine. Turbo charge it. Hack your laptop. Make your own music, your own words, and put together your own ideas.
- 80% production, 20% consumption: We need to consume external ideas and stimuli. But don’t vegetate on Netflix. Watch things that empower you to ACTION. Produce more, consume less.
If you want to make a living (or a killing) from photography, download:
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- Will Not or Cannot?
- Why Not?
- How to Think BIG
- How to Stay Ahead of the Curve
- How to Invest in Yourself
- The Two Camera Rule
- MEANINGFUL DIFFERENTIATION
- Advice For College Students
- How to Thrive in Uncertain Times
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks
How to Save Money
Respark your passion for photography:
- SF BAY AREA STREET PHOTO ADVANCED WORKSHOP (November 13, Saturday 2021)
- LEARN FROM MASTERS ONLINE WORKSHOP (December 11, Saturday, 2021)
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.