Why are we limited? Because we fear punishment from society.
- We are limited creatively, because we fear that others will call us “childish” or “foolish”
- We are afraid that if we publish something online, others will criticize us, or maybe even worse– ignore us.
- We have been socialized ever since we were children to fear authority. Fear your parents, fear your teachers, fear of being homeless when you graduate college without a job.
- Fear that you will “retire” without a pension, 401k, etc.
- We buy tools, thinking that by not having them, we are at a disadvantage. The fear that if I don’t have the newest iPhone, I’m losing out to my peers.
I was a wild child, but society strangled me. Put me in a cage. Told me to take tests, and shut up. If I went to school today, and my mom was some middle-class person, I would have probably been medicated with Ritalin, because I could not “pay attention” and sit down in class.
To be anti-establishment is a good way to be free, and creative. No innovative person ever followed the same path as those who came before them.
Steve Jobs went to India, and sought enlightenment, while pursuing capitalism.
Elon Musk is setting out to innovate multiple fields, to prevent humanity from self-imploding.
Howard Hughes made the biggest plane in the world, and flew them. He was eccentric, weird, but did cool shit.
Picasso went against traditional art. Yet he kept innovating, and driving his work forward.
Kanye West made it cool for black rappers to wear skinny jeans and pink polo shirts. Jay-Z showed society that “black man” and “successful” could be synonymous. And he showed up on the cover of Forbes with Warren Buffett. Very cool.
Even now I’m not as courageous as I would like to be. I often fear punishment from Cindy (her getting angry at me). I have learned to listen to her advice, but not always follow it.
Ultimately, I need to follow my own gut.
How could you pave a new path, if you don’t follow your intuition?
To be less fearful of being punished by society, some ideas:
- Don’t listen to the news: it is all fear mongerering to drive ratings, clicks, etc. The more news you watch, the more fearful you will be of doing something new.
- Piss someone off on purpose: Test what your punishment will be. See if defying your boss will lead them to respect you more, or get a warning of getting fired. Push the boundaries.
- “Do you”: let everyone else do as they please and like. But don’t let them super impose their views and philosophies on you. Just mute the sounds of the sirens, and “Do you”– sail on your own uncharted seas.
If you want to make a living (or a killing) from photography, download:
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks
How to Save Money
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.