Photography Entrepreneurship 101
Some real talk.
The world is kind of going to shit. Some ideas in thriving in an uncertain world:
One. Debt is the devil
Avoid debt like the devil. Seriously, don’t buy nothing on credit, or loan that you cannot afford to pay off in cash.
Cindy and I currently strive to low below our means, because my mom used to be a slave to debt. That shit is horrible.
I remember when I was 11, I had to pick up the phone when the creditors called. I had to lie and say “My parents aren’t home”. I would tremble when I heard the land line ring, because I would never know if it were a creditor or a family member.
To avoid debt, some ideas:
- If you’re bad at spending money, don’t own a credit card. Seriously. Just use a debit card.
- Give your credit cards and money to your partner: I’m really fucking bad with money. It’s because I grew up in a culture that I couldn’t save. My dad gambled the rent money. I learned, “If I don’t spend this money now, maybe someone might steal it from me.” Now whenever I wanna buy anything expensive, I gotta consult Cindy.
- See lack of resources like a fun challenge: Creative constraints. That means, you don’t have the best phone or laptop but you can still do good shit, and make cool art. I’m typing this on an old Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone, in IA WRITER. You can make do with old and shitty stuff. It can make you more innovative and resourceful.
Two. Make more money
Don’t sit at home and play video games or watch Netflix. Rather, pick up a side job. Drive for Uber or Lyft. Try to do side jobs for photography (paid).
Pick up an extra shift at work. Or go on LinkedIn and look for a new job. When you get a brand new job, you will probably get a 10% raise. That’s the secret I learned in the tech industry:
To make more money in a career job, never stay at the same company longer than 1-2 years.
My brother in law Khanh has been doing a good job building his income at his mechanical engineering job, by constantly “leap frogging” by getting new jobs every 1-2 years.
Three. Start your own website
Make your own platform or website. Use bluehost.com or 1and1.com to build your own WordPress.org website. I use the Genesis (paid) theme.
The more you build your own website (instead of giving it to free to Instagram or Facebook), you will have your website indexed by Google. And one day, you can monetize your website or blog. You will have more options and freedom.
Take control. You got this.
Photography Entrepreneurship 101
If you want to make a living (or a killing) from photography, download:
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks