PHOTOGRAPHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP 101 by ERIC KIM
To succeed as a photography entrepreneur, seek to be “meaningfully different” from everyone else out there.
The one book I recommend all entrepreneurs or folks trying to start their own business is “Zero to one”, a book by Peter Thiel on how to succeed as a startup.
He has a concept of “meaningful differentiation”.
One. What is “Meaningful Differentiation”?
- Meaningful: The work and ideas you have just be meaningful.
- Differentiation: You must be different from others.
First of all, you are already different from others.
My suggestion: let your “differentness” shine.
Don’t be ashamed of how you are different. Rather, proudly show how you are different.
Two. Proudly show your black feathers
You are weird. You are the square peg that doesn’t fit in the circular hole.
You are an innovator (maker of new things) because you think differently from the crowd. You are not one of the “sheeple” (sheep people). You are the black swan amongst the white swans.
Therefore, don’t hide the fact that you look different. If you’re a black swan, don’t try to bleach your feathers white. Rather, show off your radiant midnight-black feathers, and make it cool.
Three. How can you help others?
To show your work is meaningful, figure out how you can help or benefit others.
For example, when I write street photography articles, I try to dispel myths, and give practical assignments (see STREET NOTES).
My job as a teacher is for me to be a filter. To take all this information on the internet, and simplify it. And to make the information practical. To take ideas, to transform it into “actionable” concepts.
Ways you can be useful in today’s economy:
- Simplify: Take complicated ideas, and break it down for others, in simpler, bite-sized bits. Digest ideas and make it more nourishing and palatable to people. For example, I turned “Learn from the masters” into a practical resource, because I made “tips” from the master photographers, based on complicated photography theory. I’m interested in turning theory into practice.
- Facilitate self-development. I’m not a “teacher.” I’m a “facilitator”. You already have all the knowledge in your head. You’re a seed, and you have the potential to turn into a great redwood tree. I’m just a gardener, who helps guide your growth. I prune your leaves, kill the surrounding weeds, and build supports for your branches. I keep away pests, predators, and parasites to help you grow. The same for you, help others facilitate their own self-learning.
- Inspire: Most photography blogs are sources of “inspiration.” Present old ideas and remix them to make them more interesting in modern times. This is what hip hop producers do, they “sample” old school vintage music, and mix it with contemporary sounds, and make something new. So to be valuable in today’s world, publish things that inspire others into action.
Four. Teach Yourself
Obviously we are all different. What works for you won’t work for me and vice versa.
But there are some folks out there who are similar to you.
Find solutions that work for you, and devote your life trying to share those remedies with others.
If you’re a doctor and you found the cure for CANCER, you have an ethical duty to share that cure with humanity. But maybe this cancer cure only works for 1% of the population. But still, you should share this information.
Therefore, seek a solution that works for you, and share this self-knowledge with others.
For myself, I like to publish because even if it helps 1 other human being, the effort is worth it.
Five. Marketing is planting seeds
Marketing: spread your seeds widely, and a few seeds might take root.
Spread your message wide and far, and it might help 1% of the population. And those 5 people you influence might grow into great redwood trees.
PHOTOGRAPHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP 101 by ERIC KIM
If you want to make a living (or a killing) from photography, download:
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- Advice For College Students
- How to Thrive in Uncertain Times
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks