Rather than trying to fit into the categories society shows you, why not make your own category?
From the series, “PHOTOGRAPHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP 101”
Why create your own category?
For example, I studied sociology and the only “options” I was presented was,
- Become a sociology professor or lecturer
- Become a social worker
- Become a high school teacher
The problem is that society tries to just frame life as a few options. In reality, there are options 4, 5, 6….100 that aren’t presented to you.
Here are some other options I came up with:
- Social media marketing: Combining sociology with internet, social media, marketing, and online communities.
- Street Photography: my knowledge of sociology, combined with a camera… visual street photography / visual sociology.
The method I used was “cross-pollinating”– mixing different fields, and making something new out of it.
For example, I was passionate about technology, the internet, and society. Studying the sociology of online social networks is something that interested me, that led to teaching a seminar at UCLA: “The Sociology of Facebook and Online Social Networks”. I ended up studying other technology sociologists and theorists like Nicholas Carr, Clay Shirky, and Chris Anderson.
What inspires me.
When I started this blog, I embarked to create the most definitive source for street photography education on the web.
At first, I saw the problem: No resources online on how to shoot street photography.
Therefore, I scratched my own itch. I created the information that I wanted to read and consume.
Therefore business lesson:
You are your best potential customer or client. Make the service or make the information that you would love to have access to.
You cannot design for the masses. You can design for yourself, and your preferences.
Don’t design by committee or asking people for their opinion. Rather, ask yourself for your own opinion. And then just build the product, platform, or service. Then seek people who have the same vision and philosophy as you.
“But you cant teach street photography!”
When I started teaching street photography workshops, nobody was teaching street photography workshops.
The concept of teaching a street photography workshop didn’t even exist.
In 2011, I got criticism saying:
How can you even teach street photography? It is something un-teachable.
I disagree. I think anyone can be taught street photography, visual education, and how to make better photos.
So I’m glad I ignored the nay-sayers, and followed my own gut. And I’ve succeeded.
How to create your own category
You are a category of your own. Innovation is hard, and often happens with luck. Some ideas on how to create a new category:
- Cross-pollinate two different fields. Combine machine learning and photography. Combine sculpture and photography. Combine biology and photography. See what unique synthesis or hybrid you can make.
- Tinker and experiment: There is no formula. You gotta just fuck around, mess around, and play. See what works. Keep throwing paint on the wall, and see what sticks.
- Take more risks: Your life is short. Imagine yourself at age 90 on your deathbed. What would you regret not having taken a chance on?
If you want to make a living (or a killing) from photography, download:
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- HOW TO DREAM BIG.
- Will Not or Cannot?
- Why Not?
- How to Think BIG
- How to Stay Ahead of the Curve
- How to Invest in Yourself
- The Two Camera Rule
- MEANINGFUL DIFFERENTIATION
- Advice For College Students
- How to Thrive in Uncertain Times
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks
How to Save Money
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.