Towards a philosophy on money and photography:
1. Why money?
The first question:
We need money to pay rent, buy meat, etc. But beyond this… what do we really need money for?
I think a lot of us photographers equate money with success. This means:
If I make money from my photography I have proof that I am ‘successful’.
But is this truly the case?
2. Un-quantifying your self-esteem as a photographer
So it seems the simple thing:
We want to make money from photography in order to validate to others and ourselves that we are ‘successful’ as photographers.
3. What do we truly want as photographers?
I think we want two things:
4. Of course we derive great joy from sharing our photos
I do not know one human being who doesn’t like to share their photos. Anyone who shoots photos (100% for themselves) seems like a rare bird (rara avis). It seems the vast majority of us like to share our art works.
5. Why would you not share your photos?
I think some people don’t share their photos because of fear of judgement or being seen as being ‘bad’ photographers. But this seems very silly. Isn’t it far more robust to just make photos which spark joy in your life, and then share it with others?
Certainly we don’t need to share *all* our photos. But share the ones you care for.
Discover more personal meaning in your photographic life with PHOTOLOSOPHY >
- Why Share Your Photos?
- On Becoming Less Critical of Your Photos and Yourself as a Photographer
- Camera is God
- Photography Philosophy
- Photography for Mental and Physiological Health
- Photography and Health
- How You Can Become a Great Photographer
- Form and Substance
- ALL PHOTOS ARE ACCURATE, NONE ARE TRUTH.
- What Are You Trying to Message in Your Photography?
- Don’t Strive to Make Good Photos
- EVERY OPPORTUNITY IS A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY
- Photography as Your Personal Life Odyssey
- The Joyful Photography
- Photography 300 Years from Now
- All I wanna do is make photos and philosophize!
- First Get Happier, then Shoot Photos!
- No Artwork SHOULD Last Forever
- High Photography
- How to Photograph Your Everyday Life
- The Photograph is Not Sacred
- PHOTO MODE.
- The Visual Soundtrack of Your Life
- The Photographer is a Visual Explorer and Transformer
- Photography as the Ultimate Artistic Form of Self-Expression
- Don’t Seek to Please or Impress Others with Your Photos
- Shoot For Yourself
- Power Photography
- Creative Evolution
- The Artist-Photographer
- Photo Realism
- Perpetual Photography
- All Photography is Good Photography
- Optimal Simplicity
- True Happiness in Photography
- NOW IS THE TIME TO SHOOT! #photolosophy
- Photolosophy: With Physical Proximity comes Emotional Proximity
- Why Share Photos?
- Chaos Photography
- Soul Street Photography
- Now is the Time to Shoot!
- Photolosophy 101: Don’t Photograph Others the Way You Wouldn’t Want to Be Photographed
- Photolosophy 101: Life and Death in Photography
- Photolosophy 101: Street Photography and the Art of People
- Introduction to Photolosophy
- Photography Entrepreneurship Philosophy
- Photography Philosophy 101