Photography is light writing. Graph means to write, carve, or create.
‘Digigraphy’ as writing or creating things digitally.
Photography is ‘digi-graphy’ — making digital photographs.
Writing or blogging as digigraphy.
This is interesting — with digital, to scratch or cut into (graphy) isn’t applicable.
In pre-modern times, to write was to literally carve words, signs, images, or picto-grams into cave walls, wood, or other surfaces.
The closest to the notion of ‘writing’ [graph] comes from the word ‘gerb‘ — to carve.
The notion of carving is fascinating because:
- To create a statue is to carve it out of a slab of stone.
- To create a photograph is to carve out a portion of it [to frame a scene is to carve out what you consider important]
- To write is to carve your words, thoughts, and ideas onto paper.
Also to style one’s hair (cutting hair) as carving away superfluous hair.
There are many forms of writing
- Light writing [photography]
- Writing on a piece of paper, or digitally
- Writing as blogging [digitally]
- Speaking or recording videos as graphing (carving) your voice or sound into objects.
Record what is important to you
You decide what to carve, write, or create. Simply record, document, and create what matters to you. Use light, sound, words, ideas, images, visual, bodily, etc — to graph and write!
Discover more personal meaning in your photographic life with PHOTOLOSOPHY >
- The Joyful Photography
- Photography 300 Years from Now
- All I wanna do is make photos and philosophize!
- First Get Happier, then Shoot Photos!
- No Artwork SHOULD Last Forever
- High Photography
- How to Photograph Your Everyday Life
- The Photograph is Not Sacred
- PHOTO MODE.
- The Visual Soundtrack of Your Life
- The Photographer is a Visual Explorer and Transformer
- Photography as the Ultimate Artistic Form of Self-Expression
- Don’t Seek to Please or Impress Others with Your Photos
- Shoot For Yourself
- Power Photography
- Creative Evolution
- The Artist-Photographer
- Photo Realism
- Perpetual Photography
- All Photography is Good Photography
- Optimal Simplicity
- True Happiness in Photography
- NOW IS THE TIME TO SHOOT! #photolosophy
- Photolosophy: With Physical Proximity comes Emotional Proximity
- Why Share Photos?
- Chaos Photography
- Soul Street Photography
- Now is the Time to Shoot!
- Photolosophy 101: Don’t Photograph Others the Way You Wouldn’t Want to Be Photographed
- Photolosophy 101: Life and Death in Photography
- Photolosophy 101: Street Photography and the Art of People
- Introduction to Photolosophy
- Photography Entrepreneurship Philosophy
- Photography Philosophy 101
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.