As long as we are stuck in this cult of productivity and thinking of utilitarian aims and ends … we can never truly conquer creativity.
What is the philosophy of ‘utilitarianism’?
We must improve the overall ‘well-being’ of *all* peoples.
The only virtuous use of your energy and life force is to make more money and capital (Benjamin Franklin thinking).
What is the problem of utilitarianism?
You start to think of everything in terms of money, productivity, capital, efficiency … all the virtues of a machine.
Do you care for art and creativity?
Let us say you got a kid, and your kid’s joy is to paint drawings of x, y, z. But …
Will these paintings by little Johnny help pay the bills?
Of course not. Yet this shouldn’t be the rationale to discourage little Johnny from making his paintings.
Asian style of parenting:
Study hard in school (Confucianism), get into a good college/university, then get a good job as a lawyer, doctor, etc.
The asian style of parenting is this:
- Get an ‘honorable’ job with high clout in society
- Get a high-paying job
- Take on as little risk as possible
- Art and creativity is a waste of time
American styles of parenting might be a little better:
- Be an individual!
- Follow your passion!
- Just don’t become a bum
Yet … American society still says the ultimate aim is fame, wealth, and prestige in society.
Create just because you like it
You don’t need to explain *why* you like to make stuff or be creative. Also, you must not feel guilty when you’re doing something which isn’t ‘productive’.
The future is arts, creativity, and the ‘creative arts’.
Re-discover your inner-child like PICASSO:
- CONQUER CREATIVITY
- ERIC KIM Thoughts on Creativity
- What Do You *Really* Want in Life?
- Creative Iteration
- In Photography, Even the Smallest Thing Can Be a Leitmotif
- The Art of Creativity
- Why Constrain Yourself in Only Color or Black and White?
- In Praise of Collaging Your Photos
- The Purpose is to Create
- Photographing With No Filter in Small JPEG
- The Impetus to Create
- On Focusing on Your Own Self Development
- WHY COME UP WITH NEW IDEAS?
- Visual Stochastic Resonance
- Future Creativity
- Eternal Re-Creation
- How I Come Up With My Ideas (Ideation 101)
- How to Be Creative During Quarantine
- Constraints are Creative
- HOW TO BE MORE CREATIVE DURING COVID
- It is All Connected.
- What is Interesting to You is Very Likely to Be Interesting to Others
- Happiness as a Means to Creative Productivity
- How I Remix My Photos in iPad and ProCreate
- Creative Productivity
- In Praise of Repetition
- The Eternal Creative Loop
- The Goal is Spontaneous Creative Activity
- Ignore Your Haters.
- You’re on a Winning Streak
- Ultralight Photography
- How to see.
- CREATORS SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.
- How to Ignore Your Inner-Critic
- How to Unlock Your Inner-Genius
- Success is Your Only Option
- How to Make Your Photos More Artistic
- Creative Lessons Rick Rubin Can Teach You About Photography
- Why I Love Shooting With an LCD Screen
- How to Shoot Abstract Photography
- How to Be More Spontaneous in Your Photography and Life
- How to Re-Invent Yourself in Photography
- How to Photograph Like a Child
- How to Be a More Imaginative Photographer
- Never Rust
- Limit Your Palette
- Follow Your Intuition
- Have Creative Confidence in Yourself
- How To Find Your Unique Voice in Photography
- Beginner’s Mind
- There is No Wrong Way to Shoot Street Photography
- You Can’t Control the Results, Only Effort
- On Capturing Beauty in the Mundane
- On Searching For the Maximum
- The Beauty of “Creative Constraints”
- How to Stay Curious
- Enjoy the Process
Learn more: Photography >