The principle of life, art, and the best way to live life:
To create art-works, to create buildings, to create ideas, and to SHARE/PUBLISH them.
Some of us fall into nihilism:
What is the point of creating when I could never create anything great?
Think of yourself a tree. Trees grow with zero regard to other trees.
In praise of the vanity of the creator
I believe vanity is good.
Vanity is the belief that you are of worth.
And if you believe you are of worth, then you will create. Why? Your creations are an externalization of you.
Your creations ARE YOU!
And if you consider yourself of high value, you will also put high value into your creations!
A life without creating ain’t a life worth living.
To create is to assert yourself, and to use your personal faculties to create something BEYOND yourself; something EXTERNAL to yourself. Creating is externalizing our own inner-power into the embodied world.
Photography as creating something out of something
Why I love photography:
You create something beautiful and epic out of embodied reality (something which already exists).
As a photographer, you are a creator. You have the power to create things ANEW — with visual elements, and visual resources at your disposal.
There are an infinite ways to create.
You can create by taking your photos and visually re-mixing them:
You can create music out of nothing using GarageBand on your Mac. See BEATS BY KIM >
Take creations (your photos) and create something even newer by putting them together in a slideshow (iMovie is my preference).
All creations are good; as long as you enjoy it!
It doesn’t matter if your creations are “original” or not. As long as YOU are the author (you created it), it is of value.
Thus, have PRIDE in your work, and never stop creating!
Re-discover your inner-child like PICASSO:
- The Goal is Spontaneous Creative Activity
- Ignore Your Haters.
- You’re on a Winning Streak
- Ultralight Photography
- How to see.
- CREATORS SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.
- How to Ignore Your Inner-Critic
- How to Unlock Your Inner-Genius
- Success is Your Only Option
- How to Make Your Photos More Artistic
- Creative Lessons Rick Rubin Can Teach You About Photography
- Why I Love Shooting With an LCD Screen
- How to Shoot Abstract Photography
- How to Be More Spontaneous in Your Photography and Life
- How to Re-Invent Yourself in Photography
- How to Photograph Like a Child
- How to Be a More Imaginative Photographer
- Never Rust
- Limit Your Palette
- Follow Your Intuition
- Have Creative Confidence in Yourself
- How To Find Your Unique Voice in Photography
- Beginner’s Mind
- There is No Wrong Way to Shoot Street Photography
- You Can’t Control the Results, Only Effort
- On Capturing Beauty in the Mundane
- On Searching For the Maximum
- The Beauty of “Creative Constraints”
- How to Stay Curious
- Enjoy the Process
Learn more: Photography >