When we think of ‘creativity’, we often think of being “creatively original”. However, a better definition of creativity is ‘propensity to create’, or “the tendency to create (a lot) of stuff”.
So why this term ‘creative productivity’? Well, my thought:
When we tell others to be ‘creative’, they think we mean to say: “Do this in a novel fashion which has never been done before.”
This line of thought is paralyzing. Better to say:
“Be creatively productive! Just make a bunch of stuff! Perfection can be damned!”
Why create a lot?
In some ways, thinking about ‘creative productivity’ is similar to think:
Why Quantity over Quality?
Why the notion of ‘quantity’ (number) over quality (subjective greatness)?
Well, quantity is to produce a lot. This is the definition of ‘creative productivity’. It is far easier to track quantity (making a lot of stuff) versus the vague notion of ‘quality’ (which is 100% subjective).
Who is to deem what is ‘quality’ and what isn’t quality?
What is ‘quality’?
When most people think of ‘quality’, I think they mean to say “craftsmanship, attention to detail, and durability”.
But this is vague.
For example, in some ways a Casio G-Shock watch ($50) is more durable and reliable than a Rolex watch ($5,000+). But most people would say the Rolex is higher quality. Why? Because it is more expensive. Thus the basic notion:
Higher price = higher quality.
But is this always true? Not always. Consider luxury clothing — it might look great and is expensive, but might have poor durability!
Towards a new creative future
This is what I propose:
Let us disregard novelty. Let us focus on producing much.
Produce lots of blog posts.
Make a lot of beats. Make a lot of photos. Make a lot of videos.
And share much!
Re-discover your inner-child like PICASSO:
- In Praise of Repetition
- The Eternal Creative Loop
- The Goal is Spontaneous Creative Activity
- Ignore Your Haters.
- You’re on a Winning Streak
- Ultralight Photography
- How to see.
- CREATORS SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.
- How to Ignore Your Inner-Critic
- How to Unlock Your Inner-Genius
- Success is Your Only Option
- How to Make Your Photos More Artistic
- Creative Lessons Rick Rubin Can Teach You About Photography
- Why I Love Shooting With an LCD Screen
- How to Shoot Abstract Photography
- How to Be More Spontaneous in Your Photography and Life
- How to Re-Invent Yourself in Photography
- How to Photograph Like a Child
- How to Be a More Imaginative Photographer
- Never Rust
- Limit Your Palette
- Follow Your Intuition
- Have Creative Confidence in Yourself
- How To Find Your Unique Voice in Photography
- Beginner’s Mind
- There is No Wrong Way to Shoot Street Photography
- You Can’t Control the Results, Only Effort
- On Capturing Beauty in the Mundane
- On Searching For the Maximum
- The Beauty of “Creative Constraints”
- How to Stay Curious
- Enjoy the Process
Learn more: Photography >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.