“Life is about reps” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
In modern times, to repeat oneself is seen as bad. But in truth, isn’t life about repetition?
- In working out, inevitably doing more repetitions (and increasing the weight) is a good thing, which will lead you to becoming stronger and putting on more muscle mass.
- The more you repeat going out and shooting photos, the better! You learn via repetition, judging your photos, then going out to shoot again (an iterative approach to photography).
- The benefit of re-reading texts, films, or things you’ve already read/consumed. For example, I re-watched Ghost in the Shell [original anime], and I enjoyed it 5x more this time than I did the original time! Furthermore, with philosophy, I find more benefit re-reading a person’s philosophical book several times than just reading a bunch of people’s text once. For example, better to re-read a single author many many times, than to read just 1 book from many others.
- Re-visiting old places: To gain depth, we must re-visit old places. For example my recent trip to Mexico City — I’ve been there 3-4 times now. Every time we go back, we have even a DEEPER appreciation of the place. For example, we’ve now become regulars at MEROMA (one of my favorite restaurants in the world and Mexico City), and now we are on first-name basis with the owners (Mercedes and Rodney). It is great– we get special “hookups”, and we feel like family. The same goes to finding a few cities you really like, and re-visit!
- Repeating your creative act: Do you drink coffee everyday (or several times a day)? Of course. Perhaps we can treat photography the same way; just keep doing creative stuff all day, everyday! Picasso apparently made (on average) 1-2 art works a day until he died. Can’t we do the same?
Re-discover your inner-child like PICASSO:
- The Eternal Creative Loop
- The Goal is Spontaneous Creative Activity
- Ignore Your Haters.
- You’re on a Winning Streak
- Ultralight Photography
- How to see.
- CREATORS SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.
- How to Ignore Your Inner-Critic
- How to Unlock Your Inner-Genius
- Success is Your Only Option
- How to Make Your Photos More Artistic
- Creative Lessons Rick Rubin Can Teach You About Photography
- Why I Love Shooting With an LCD Screen
- How to Shoot Abstract Photography
- How to Be More Spontaneous in Your Photography and Life
- How to Re-Invent Yourself in Photography
- How to Photograph Like a Child
- How to Be a More Imaginative Photographer
- Never Rust
- Limit Your Palette
- Follow Your Intuition
- Have Creative Confidence in Yourself
- How To Find Your Unique Voice in Photography
- Beginner’s Mind
- There is No Wrong Way to Shoot Street Photography
- You Can’t Control the Results, Only Effort
- On Capturing Beauty in the Mundane
- On Searching For the Maximum
- The Beauty of “Creative Constraints”
- How to Stay Curious
- Enjoy the Process
Learn more: Photography >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.