As I have hit all my life goals, have reached financial freedom, etc … I have a very difficult time entertaining myself. Almost nothing holds my attention (entertain as ‘en+tenare’ — something which holds your attention).
And in fact, ‘entertainment’ is not base. Epic poetry and deep philosophy tends to be the most entertaining to me, as it is difficult and challenging enough (and interesting enough) to hold my attention.
Thus moving forward in your life, remember:
Life is infinitely too short to be bored (Nietzsche).
And in this way:
Strive to find challenging and interesting enough things to entertain yourself!
I actually have a very hard time being entertained by the traditional media (movies, TV shows, etc). Why? It is too ‘basic’– the stories aren’t complex enough, and do not really require my focused attention.
But the thing with media and films and other forms of media (literature, books, etc) — what is ‘high brow’ isn’t necessarily better. Often much of this ‘low brow’ stuff can be the most entertaining and interesting … even to us intellectuals! For example in Cinema, Suicide Squad, the movie 300, and the John Wick series as some of the most fun and entertaining films.
Longer can often be more entertaining
As of late, I find the new Justice League (the Zack Snyder cut) as one of the most entertaining films… even though it is far longer than the typical film. Why is it so entertaining and held my attention my whole time? Because it is deep, dark, and more complex.
Flashy is often more boring
I find it very difficult to entertain myself with most modern films, movies, TV shows, or YouTube. Why? It is too flashy, too many cuts … all these things which create predictable, boring, and too same-same media.
What is the best way to entertain yourself?
For the most part, I find anything I do which is active as far more entertaining. For example, actively analyzing composition, studying art (the great masters), or just going out and making my own art photos (or making my own art at home, via ProCreate and iPad/iPhone via Zen Brush Calligraphy, abstract art works, etc).
Creation holds your attention the best
All creation is good. Anything you create is good. Thus just enjoy the Dionysian joy and stream of creating:
The fewer boundaries you put on your creations, the better:
As you create, you learn.
So just keep creating; figure out the meaning of it all way later!
The Art of Art
INSPIRE YOURSELF with HAPTIC.
- Flex Your Own Art!
A Life of Artistic and Creative Leisure
- Creating and Sharing Out of Uberabundance or the Desire to Be Acknowledged and Affirmed?
- Bodily and Muscular Vigor in Order to Create!
- YOUR ARTWORK IS KING.
- You’re the Artist
- The Future is Arts, Creativity, and the ‘Creative Arts’
- What Makes an ‘Artistic’ Photograph?
- Photography and Imagination
- Focus on Philosophy and Art
- Inspiration and Expiration
- Artwork Created Out of Despair or Joy?
- Philosophy and Art over Politics
- CAN YOU SEPARATE THE ARTIST AND THEIR ART WORK?
- The Artist’s Will to Immortality
- THE WILL TO PROCREATION
- How to Make 3D Abstract Art with Adobe Dimension (if You’re Stuck at Home)
- Don’t Sit on the Sidelines as History is Being Made!
- Why Improve Our Lives?
- Happiness for What?
- Artistic Exertion
- What is Artwork?
- Make then Share!
- How to Express Your Creative Instinct
- Avoid Anything That Makes You Unproductive in Your Art
- Pictures Should Stimulate Your Life!
- How to Create More Pictures
- How to Shoot More Photos
- How to Be a Passionate Photographer
- Make More Than You Take
- NEVER COMPROMISE.
- Why Photography is the Best Art Form.
- How to become unstuck.
- How to Become a FEARLESS Artist
- KANDINSKY: THE ARTIST IS THE PROPHET
- How to Have More Creative Confidence in Your Photography
- How to Make More Art
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
- How Not to Give a Fuck What Others Think of Your Photography
- Is Photography Art?
- Leonardo da Vinci: Art, Photography, and Life Lessons
- How to Make Better Photos
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Art of Photography
- How to Conquer Your Fears in Art
- How to Be a More Productive Artist
- How to Have More Confidence as an Artist
- Make Photos for the Sake of Making Photos
- Make, Don’t Take Photos
- Perfect Pearl
- Make Photos to Delight Your Soul
- Revel in Your Defective Artistry
- Photography is Poetry Without Words
- Labor to Make Your Photos Concise