If you’re not passionate about photography, why make photos?
Why be Passionate?
If you’re not passionate, you ain’t gonna fool anybody else.
If you’re not passionate about photography and your own photos, your enthusiasm will not infect others.
For myself, I’m fucking passionate about photography. I fucking love it to death.
To me, it is amazing how I can make instant art. I don’t need to waste time paining. To me, a photograph is an instant painting. Perhaps even more interesting.
Anyways, I think the primary stimulus to life we get is through art. Specifically through making art. Not collecting the art of others. If we find inspiration from the art of others, that is good. But ultimately, the goal is for us to be inspired for us to make our own art.
To just collect the art of others is like watching pornography. You like looking at others have sex. Why watch others make photos? Why not make photos for yourself, by yourself?
What is the purpose of life?
Life is about creation. It ain’t about consumption.
I’m only happy when I’m creating. When I’m creating photos, creating connections with strangers, or creating blog posts. Creation is what gives me joy of being in the “zone”– when I feel like I’m never gonna die.
How to be more passionate about photography and life
To find more passion in your photography and life, here are some ideas:
- Seek to impress yourself: I don’t care What others think of my photos. I’m self centered enough that I only care what I think of my own photos. Therefore, I’m happiest when I make a photo and I look at it and I think, “Wow, I made that?”
- Be grateful to be alive: Read life affirming philosophy. I love the Stoic philosophers like Seneca. He helps me encourage living, and for me to never waste my life. MEMENTO MORI: remember you will die. So why waste your life? Express your passion for living through your photos. Don’t just show miserable photos. Show photos that show your enthusiasm and positivity about life.
- See difficulty as a fun challenge to overcome: If you don’t have a good camera, don’t fret. Use that as an encouragement to you to overcome your setbacks. I find it more fun to make good photos on shitty cameras. Because it forces me to be innovative with my limitations. This is what they call a “creative constraint”– a constraint that forces you be more creative.
Lastly, remember you are an artist. As a photographer, every photograph you make is you taking a risk of making a good piece of art.
And ultimately, make photos that affirm yourself, your life, and your enthusiasm.
And if you are not passionate about photography, ask yourself:
Have I lost my passion for photography because photography is boring to me?
If you’re bored, challenge yourself more.
Or ask yourself,
Am I afraid of others judging my photos negatively?
If that’s the case, become a STREET STOIC.
Re-discover you inner-child and feel like PABLO PICASSO:
- Make More Than You Take
- NEVER COMPROMISE.
- Why Photography is the Best Art Form.
- How to become unstuck.
- How to Become a FEARLESS Artist
- KANDINSKY: THE ARTIST IS THE PROPHET
- How to Have More Creative Confidence in Your Photography
- How to Make More Art
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
- How Not to Give a Fuck What Others Think of Your Photography
- Is Photography Art?
- Leonardo da Vinci: Art, Photography, and Life Lessons
- How to Make Better Photos
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Art of Photography
- How to Conquer Your Fears in Art
- How to Be a More Productive Artist
- How to Have More Confidence as an Artist
- Make Photos for the Sake of Making Photos
- Make, Don’t Take Photos
- Perfect Pearl
- Make Photos to Delight Your Soul
- Revel in Your Defective Artistry
- Photography is Poetry Without Words
- Labor to Make Your Photos Concise
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- The Film Shooter
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
MUSE by KIM
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
Street Photography Starter Kit
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET NOTES $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10