Through art, we desire to exert (ex+press) our inner artistic power.
I like the notion of ‘exertion’ over “expression”.
With ‘expression’, we are told to “express ourselves” and to tell others “how we feel”. It seems a bit soft.
I prefer exertion. Where you are PRESSING OUT or THRUSTING OUT the artistic power from within you, outwards. The latin word ‘exsertus‘ seems apt.
What does it mean to ‘artistically exert’ yourself?
You have this inner-artistic power. You feel the feeling of power being manifested (and the feeling of becoming stronger), when you actually CREATE things, when you mould reality to your liking, etc.
The artist as a demi-god
I think the artist desires to become a Demi-god. To become a “mini” god, in the sense that we become creators, and we can change, mould, and twist reality to our liking. Note the notion of Steve Jobs and the ‘reality distortion field’ — you can distort reality to however you like!
How to exert yourself as an artist
You’re an artist. Period. The goal then is to EXERT your artistic power more. To create more, to experiment more, to dream more, and to innovate more in your artwork.
- No rules. Rethink art from a ‘first principles‘ notion. All art is legitimate and good, as long as it strengthens and empowers you.
- Remix: Take your photos and inverse them in Photoshop, draw on top of them, etc. No image is sacred.
- Don’t judge your artwork as good or bad. Just make it! Then just share it!
Exert yourself more!
INSPIRE YOURSELF with HAPTIC.
- What is Artwork?
- Make then Share!
- How to Express Your Creative Instinct
- Avoid Anything That Makes You Unproductive in Your Art
- Pictures Should Stimulate Your Life!
- How to Create More Pictures
- How to Shoot More Photos
- How to Be a Passionate Photographer
- Make More Than You Take
- NEVER COMPROMISE.
- Why Photography is the Best Art Form.
- How to become unstuck.
- How to Become a FEARLESS Artist
- KANDINSKY: THE ARTIST IS THE PROPHET
- How to Have More Creative Confidence in Your Photography
- How to Make More Art
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
- How Not to Give a Fuck What Others Think of Your Photography
- Is Photography Art?
- Leonardo da Vinci: Art, Photography, and Life Lessons
- How to Make Better Photos
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Art of Photography
- How to Conquer Your Fears in Art
- How to Be a More Productive Artist
- How to Have More Confidence as an Artist
- Make Photos for the Sake of Making Photos
- Make, Don’t Take Photos
- Perfect Pearl
- Make Photos to Delight Your Soul
- Revel in Your Defective Artistry
- Photography is Poetry Without Words
- Labor to Make Your Photos Concise
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.