To me, the more photos I make, the happier I am.
“Photography and nothing else! Photography is to great stimulus to life!” (Credit to Nietzsche for the idea).
Why make Photos?
To make a photo of someone or something is to acknowledge its importance.
For example, when you choose your subject, you are giving them the greatest compliment. You are telling your subject,
There are a million people in the world, but I wanted to photograph YOU because YOU are unique and special.
When you photograph a personal memory, you are telling yourself,
This is a precious moment. I don’t want to forget this.
Therefore to me, photography ENHANCES my enjoyment of life. It reminds me…to appreciate my loved ones, the joy of being alive, the excitement of making images, like visual building blocks.
How to shoot more.
- Add more randomness to your day: We hate the common place and the same same. Switch up your schedule. Take a different commute or route to work. You will probably end up seeing unique, different, or less ordinary things. This will stimulate you to shoot more.
- SET IT AND FORGET IT: Shoot in automatic mode, or program mode, to think less about your technical settings. The less your worry about your camera settings, the less you will hesitate. And the more you will shoot.
- Wear your camera like a necklace or a bracelet (I recommend HENRI NECK STRAP x ERIC KIM WRIST STRAP. When I have the camera in my hand, or on my neck…I see more photos. And therefore end up shooting more.
- Have a camera by your bedside, or on your desk. By having your camera scattered randomly in your house, where you can access it quickly, you will end up making nice photos of personal life. Taking photos of your partner or kids before you sleep. Or even photos of your loved ones eating breakfast, drinking coffee, or other personal moments. Personal photography is one of the most meaningful types of photos we can make.
- Look at great photos: When I look at great photos, I am stimulated to make photos. For example, looking at the work of RICHARD AVEDON inspires me to shoot more. To make more fashionable, soulful, and deep photos of Cindy, and STREET PORTRAITS of strangers I meet.
- Shoot in mirrors: I am always inspired to shoot in elevators, with lots of mirrors. Random tip, but it works.
Just shoot it.
To me, it is better to take a boring photo than to take no photo. Every time we click the shutter, we are like doing a chin-up. And the more chin-ups we do, the stronger our eyes become.
I am often inspired by sunsets, and LIGHT. I used to hate photographing sunsets (they all look the same), but now, I realize… the sun and light is the source of all organic life on earth. To photograph the sun, the sunset, and light…is to acknowledge life.
So when it is sunset, go outside. Make some photos. Shoot in restaurants, and ordinary places. Be grateful for being alive.
Photography memento Mori. Shoot, because you are not going to live for long. 100 years on planet earth at best.
Why waste your potential?
Soar to the heavens my friend, and know that your wings won’t melt.
ART OF PHOTOGRAPHY
Re-discover you inner-child and feel like PABLO PICASSO:
- How to Be a Passionate Photographer
- Make More Than You Take
- NEVER COMPROMISE.
- Why Photography is the Best Art Form.
- How to become unstuck.
- How to Become a FEARLESS Artist
- KANDINSKY: THE ARTIST IS THE PROPHET
- How to Have More Creative Confidence in Your Photography
- How to Make More Art
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
- How Not to Give a Fuck What Others Think of Your Photography
- Is Photography Art?
- Leonardo da Vinci: Art, Photography, and Life Lessons
- How to Make Better Photos
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Art of Photography
- How to Conquer Your Fears in Art
- How to Be a More Productive Artist
- How to Have More Confidence as an Artist
- Make Photos for the Sake of Making Photos
- Make, Don’t Take Photos
- Perfect Pearl
- Make Photos to Delight Your Soul
- Revel in Your Defective Artistry
- Photography is Poetry Without Words
- Labor to Make Your Photos Concise
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
MUSE by KIM
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
Street Photography Starter Kit
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- The Film Shooter
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20