We are not just mere photographers, we are also artists. But the thing is:
Some photos we create are *more* artistic than others.
For example, if I make a photograph of my grocery list receipt, I wouldn’t call it ‘art’ — I did it simply to record information. However, if I perhaps positioned the receipt in an intentional way, shot it in high contrast black and white, was mindful of the composition, framing, and light … I would consider it my artwork.
So the question:
What makes a photo ‘artistic’?
If I am intentionally trying to make a mysterious or ‘artsy’ photograph, it is ‘artistic’.
To me, whether your photos are artistic or not comes down to your personal preference and intentionality. If you are intending to create artwork, it is art.
However on the other hand, I still think there is *some* hierarchy to art. For example, I would rate a Picasso painting far higher as more ‘artistic’ than someone who just shot a quick iPhone snapshot (#nofilter) of a roll of tissue paper (with horrible exposure). So then comes the question:
Who is to judge the *hierarchy* of art?
In other words:
Who is to say what art works have more merit or value than others?
And in photography:
Who is to say one person’s photographic oeuvre (portfolio) is higher than another?
What I try to focus on
Anyways without getting too philosophical, let us focus on the practical:
- Affirm to yourself that you’re both a photographer *and* artist. Visual artist; perhaps a more specific synthesis of both concepts.
- Once you’ve affirmed yourself as an artist, then you focus on making as artistic photographs as you can … focusing on this, and increasing your intentionality when it comes to composing scenes, how you exposure-compensate your photographs, and what you decide to photograph or what you decide not to photograph.
The Art of Art
INSPIRE YOURSELF with HAPTIC.
- Photography and Imagination
- Focus on Philosophy and Art
- Inspiration and Expiration
- Artwork Created Out of Despair or Joy?
- Philosophy and Art over Politics
- CAN YOU SEPARATE THE ARTIST AND THEIR ART WORK?
- The Artist’s Will to Immortality
- THE WILL TO PROCREATION
- How to Make 3D Abstract Art with Adobe Dimension (if You’re Stuck at Home)
- Don’t Sit on the Sidelines as History is Being Made!
- Why Improve Our Lives?
- Happiness for What?
- Artistic Exertion
- What is Artwork?
- Make then Share!
- How to Express Your Creative Instinct
- Avoid Anything That Makes You Unproductive in Your Art
- Pictures Should Stimulate Your Life!
- How to Create More Pictures
- How to Shoot More Photos
- How to Be a Passionate Photographer
- Make More Than You Take
- NEVER COMPROMISE.
- Why Photography is the Best Art Form.
- How to become unstuck.
- How to Become a FEARLESS Artist
- KANDINSKY: THE ARTIST IS THE PROPHET
- How to Have More Creative Confidence in Your Photography
- How to Make More Art
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
- How Not to Give a Fuck What Others Think of Your Photography
- Is Photography Art?
- Leonardo da Vinci: Art, Photography, and Life Lessons
- How to Make Better Photos
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Art of Photography
- How to Conquer Your Fears in Art
- How to Be a More Productive Artist
- How to Have More Confidence as an Artist
- Make Photos for the Sake of Making Photos
- Make, Don’t Take Photos
- Perfect Pearl
- Make Photos to Delight Your Soul
- Revel in Your Defective Artistry
- Photography is Poetry Without Words
- Labor to Make Your Photos Concise