Cindy just wrote an essay titled: My Experience Living through History: War, Human Agency, and Non-Future. It gave me a deep opportunity to reflect myself:
What does it mean to live through history, and to become PART of history?
Some excerpts I liked from Cindy’s essay:
Yet, it was not until COVID-19 that I now know what it means to live through history. While this moment is not the same as war, I have become familiar with its symptoms and side effects. The loss of human agency in everyday action. The inability to fathom a future. The surrender to fated defeat and existential misery.
What I want to know is what it means to move past history. How did my parents do it? How did they survive, support four kids with nothing, and create a life and new opportunities for their kids? I am searching for that boundless power, that hope to hold onto, that rational deployment of my skills and any tools I have access to. What do I do? I continue to minimize all inessential expenses and direct that money to support small businesses and other vulnerable populations. I continue to check in with my loved ones and to tell them how much I love and miss them. I continue to take care of my health. I continue to be grateful for my health and community. I continue to be strong and vulnerable with my students and colleagues. I continue to write and make sense of this world. I continue.
Living through history and being PART of history.
We will definitely think about society PRE-COVID and life POST-COVID. I know for myself, living THROUGH and currently with the COVID-crisis, I feel a deeper duty and sense of responsibility towards humanity. I feel it is my duty to motivate, inspire, and empower others– sharing thoughts on Stoicism and more.
To be brave or to cower?
You have an option — to brave on, or to cower. Things will never go back to the way they used to be. This is the fact of life and reality.
What did we do in the past, in times of uncertain, pain, chaos, war, death, disease, and destruction? Simple — we fought on!
STRENGTH IS YOU.
How to Become a Stoic
- How to Fear Less
- Fear is the Ultimate Contagious Disease
- STOICISM FOR DUMMIES
- Don’t Be Scared!
- WHAT CAN YOU CONTROL, WHAT CAN YOU NOT CONTROL?
- HOW YOU CAN CONQUER FEAR
- YOU’RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE.
- EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
- WHY AREN’T THINGS WORSE?
- My Philosophy on Masculinity
- A Riskier Life is a Better Life #philosophy #stoicism
- How to Creatively Flourish in Life
- Introduction to Stoicism
- How to Become Stronger
- How to Conquer Depression With Photography
- What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
- How to Respect Yourself
- How to Believe in Yourself
- How to Steer Fear
- How to Conquer Pessimism
- How to Conquer Anxiety
- How to Overcome Your Fear of People
- How to Be Optimistic
- Why I Don’t Take My Anger Seriously
- HOW TO BECOME MORE POWERFUL
- HOW TO BECOME SUPERHUMAN
- How to Give a Fuck Less
- ALL IN.
- Why I Cut My Dad Out of My Life.
- Your iPhone Only Has 5% Battery Left.
- How not to give a FUCK about your REPUTATION
- WHAT IS A HUMAN?
- The Regret Minimization Framework in Photography and Life
- How to Be a HERO
- Conquer Your Fears by Making Fear Your Slave
- Rule Circumstances; Don’t Let Your Circumstances Rule You
- How to Love Yourself
- How to Turn Shit into Gold
- Your Parents Fuck You Up
- What Kills You Makes You Stronger
- How to Be Patient
- How to Conquer Anger
- How to Bounce Back in Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Nothing Unlimited is Good; Nothing Good is Unlimited
- You Have No Limits
- Can 1’s and 0’s Hurt You?
- The Envious Moment is Flying Now
- Tomorrow We’ll Sail the Wide Seas Again
- How to Forgive Others
- Focus on Your Actions, Not the Results
- Everything Will Be Alright
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Be a Spartan Photographer
- How to Overcome Your Fears in Life
- How to Stop Worrying in Life
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- 3 Stoic Techniques that Can Help You Gain Tranquility
- Can People Weaker than You Hurt You?
- Does a Doctor Get Angry at a Crazy Patient?
- Own Nothing
The Stoic Masters
Learn from the master stoics:
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.