There is nothing to fear, but fear itself.
1. You are the captain of the ship of your life
Primo, you are the captain of your ship of life.
You cannot control whether you will hit waves or suffer shipwreck. But you can control what direction you steer your life.
For example, I don’t think it is good to have hard goals in life. It makes us inflexible to seizing new opportunities. Too much focus on a goal makes us option-blind.
However, I like the idea of having a general DIRECTION which we wanna take our lives.
For me, I want to make information, and empower others. I am dedicated to the DIRECTION of open source. I don’t know exactly what my ultimate open source goal is, but I want to promote free, and open information to help others who are less fortunate than I am.
2. Sail toward what scares you
Generally, I find that what we fear… is the general direction we should take our lives.
For example almost all the good street photos I’ve made, has scared me. For example, I don’t know what might be a good photo. But if I see something that scares me, I must photograph it.
To me, fear is excitement. Fear is what drives us forward.
If we do more of what we fear, we will peer more into the depths of our potential. And the more small risks we make in life, the more epic and cool shit we will do.
For example, whenever I wanna write something that I’m worried might be controversial, I write it anyways and publish. Generally whatever I write that is controversial is good.
What scares you? Sail toward that.
3. Don’t think too much
For myself, when I think too much I am paralyzed. I don’t act.
To me, to act is better than to be passive.
For example, I fall into “paralysis by analysis”– I fear negative consequences, and therefore am scared into passiveness.
Now, I make small “calculated risks”. I calculate my maximum loss before hand.
For example if I create a new HAPTIC product with Cindy, I calculate the maximum amount of money we can lose. Then we create the product, and promote it with confidence.
In photography if you see a scene and you’re not sure if it will be a good photo or not,
- How to Conquer Pessimism
- How to Conquer Anxiety
- How to Overcome Your Fear of People
- How to Be Optimistic
- Why I Don’t Take My Anger Seriously
- HOW TO BECOME MORE POWERFUL
- HOW TO BECOME SUPERHUMAN
- How to Give a Fuck Less
- ALL IN.
- Why I Cut My Dad Out of My Life.
- Your iPhone Only Has 5% Battery Left.
- How not to give a FUCK about your REPUTATION
- WHAT IS A HUMAN?
- The Regret Minimization Framework in Photography and Life
- How to Be a HERO
- Conquer Your Fears by Making Fear Your Slave
- Rule Circumstances; Don’t Let Your Circumstances Rule You
- How to Love Yourself
- How to Turn Shit into Gold
- Your Parents Fuck You Up
- What Kills You Makes You Stronger
- How to Be Patient
- How to Conquer Anger
- How to Bounce Back in Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Nothing Unlimited is Good; Nothing Good is Unlimited
- You Have No Limits
- Can 1’s and 0’s Hurt You?
- The Envious Moment is Flying Now
- Tomorrow We’ll Sail the Wide Seas Again
- How to Forgive Others
- Focus on Your Actions, Not the Results
- Everything Will Be Alright
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Be a Spartan Photographer
- How to Overcome Your Fears in Life
- How to Stop Worrying in Life
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- 3 Stoic Techniques that Can Help You Gain Tranquility
- Can People Weaker than You Hurt You?
- Does a Doctor Get Angry at a Crazy Patient?
- Own Nothing
The Stoic Masters
Learn from the master stoics:
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.