The world can look like a shitty place. Regardless, how do we stay optimistic, and overcome any sort of pessimism we may face?
To start, we don’t want to sugar coat reality or how shitty the world can be. Honestly, for me…the real reason I’m so optimistic is because I’ve seen the darkness. For example, I was only able to be optimistic and positive as a child as a response to all the pain and suffering I saw in life.
For example, seeing how horrible my dad could be to my mom was my stimulus to being the greatest father. Seeing my dad be so lazy and gamble away money taught me to have inner-hustle and drive, to become the “anti” version of my dad.
In short, I experienced “post-traumatic GROWTH”. From the trauma and darkness of my childhood, I was able to see hope and light.
The earth is full of thorns, but you can walk on it with leather sandals
Optimism isn’t running away from reality. It is embracing reality, in all its ugliness, flaws, suffering, and death…yet still finding meaning, hope, and optimism in the face of all of it. It is to embrace tragedy…and like how the Greek myths show, sometimes life is fucking cruel and unfair…for no reason.
For example, Oedipus kills his dad, and ends up sleeping with his mom, because he was essentially confused and fucked over by the Gods. It really wasn’t Oedipus’ fault that he did all these horrible things. Rather, he was the play-thing of the Gods, who were essentially bored, and wrecked chaos on Earth for their own amusement.
When I was a kid, I knew that life wasn’t fair. Yet, it was a waste of time, energy, and effort to sit, mope, and complain about it like all the emo goth kids at school. Rather, I had to be like, “Fuck it, I’m going to hustle hard, and become successful on my own accord. To not blame fate, but play the cards that reality has dealt me. And to play those cards to the best of my ability.”
So there is my personal psychology.
In terms of everyday living, some tips that have helped me be more optimistic, and to overcome pessimism.
- Relentlessly cut negative and pessimistic people from your life. If you were wearing an all-white suit, what would happen if you went to see a mud-wrestling match? Of course you’re gonna get dirty. Same with negative people. Better to just avoid these folks, and cut them out of your life.
- Avoid mainstream news: It is all doom and gloom. It is engineered to drive more clicks and advertising revenue. If you see the world from the perspective of mainstream news, you’re going to feel pessimism.
- Be the change you wish to see in the world: I often complain about how the internet sucks. But rather than complaining, I need to hustle hard and work to make a change. Rather than complaining that blogs online suck, I gotta work to make useful blog posts (like this) to hopefully empower others.
- Everyday get physically stronger: Do more chin-ups, pushups, yoga, deadlifts, squats, bench press, whatever physical exercise or strength-training that you can improve yourself. More physical strength means more dopamine, serotonin in your system, which will empower you.
- Marry an optimistic person: You’re going to spend the most time with this person, don’t marry someone pessimistic. Cindy empowers me everyday. Thank you Cindy.
How do you stay optimistic in today’s shitty world? Share your personal strategies on ERIC KIM FORUM.
- How to Conquer Anxiety
- How to Overcome Your Fear of People
- How to Be Optimistic
- Why I Don’t Take My Anger Seriously
- HOW TO BECOME MORE POWERFUL
- HOW TO BECOME SUPERHUMAN
- How to Give a Fuck Less
- ALL IN.
- Why I Cut My Dad Out of My Life.
- Your iPhone Only Has 5% Battery Left.
- How not to give a FUCK about your REPUTATION
- WHAT IS A HUMAN?
- The Regret Minimization Framework in Photography and Life
- How to Be a HERO
- Conquer Your Fears by Making Fear Your Slave
- Rule Circumstances; Don’t Let Your Circumstances Rule You
- How to Love Yourself
- How to Turn Shit into Gold
- Your Parents Fuck You Up
- What Kills You Makes You Stronger
- How to Be Patient
- How to Conquer Anger
- How to Bounce Back in Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Nothing Unlimited is Good; Nothing Good is Unlimited
- You Have No Limits
- Can 1’s and 0’s Hurt You?
- The Envious Moment is Flying Now
- Tomorrow We’ll Sail the Wide Seas Again
- How to Forgive Others
- Focus on Your Actions, Not the Results
- Everything Will Be Alright
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Be a Spartan Photographer
- How to Overcome Your Fears in Life
- How to Stop Worrying in Life
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- 3 Stoic Techniques that Can Help You Gain Tranquility
- Can People Weaker than You Hurt You?
- Does a Doctor Get Angry at a Crazy Patient?
- Own Nothing
The Stoic Masters
Learn from the master stoics: