A simple thing to improve your life in all shapes and forms: smile!
Well, maybe a better question is
Why not smile?
It’s awesome to be alive. Not everyone was given the lucky privilege of being born. We didn’t ask to be born, but we’re alive and here. So the question is,
What are you going to do with your life?
For myself, I choose to smile. To smile is to show gratitude of being alive. To smile means to open up your heart to others. To smile is free and costs you nothing, yet reaps 1000x rewards. You brighten the day of others, and you also brighten your own day/life!
If you want to be a better photographer, smile more. Chat more with strangers, and smile at them! Ask them about their life, and ask them to make photos of them.
If you’re shooting “candid” street photography without permission, after taking a photo of someone, smile at them! It will warm up your heart, their heart, and it will feel less awkward for both parties involved (less awkward for both you and them).
To smile also means to laugh, and to engage with others. It’s showing a positive outlook and optimistic view on life.
To me, it is of course important to know about injustice, pain, and suffering in the world. Yet, in spite of all that, we must stay positive, and seek to “be the change which we wish to see in the world” (Gandhi). We don’t have the power to change everything in the world, but if we concentrate our energy and focus, we can make a big impact in a small part of society.
In life, you have the option to smile or frown. When shit hits the fan, take a Stoic approach. Laugh it off, and make fun of yourself.
And take the ultimate philosophical approach: smile.
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >