If you want to become happier, more productive, more muscular, more lean (less body fat), and more artistically/creatively motivated-inspired-productive, then intermittent fasting is for you:
No breakfast and lunch
Break your fast with one huuuuge meal (dinner). Soonest I break my fast around 3pm (on days when I am very weak), but I typically try to do ‘Ramadan’ style — just break my fast once the sun goes down (in summer time, around 8pm):
What I break my fast with
Lots of fatty cuts of meat (whatever is cheapest at the grocery store), and lots of bitter greens (kale, collard greens). Sometimes fermented foods (when I got them) like kimchi or sauerkraut.
In praise of cheap (fatty) cuts of meat.
Meat is a steroid.
And also, cholesterol (in animal products only) are a steroid. What that means is:
The more you eat meat, the more you increase your testosterone.
The more saturated fat and cholesterol the meat has (really fatty cuts of meat like steak — red meat), the better.
The more saturated fat and cholesterol will increase your testosterone more (according to my theory).
Thus in my ideal world, I would eat nothing but fatty cuts of Rib-Eye steak. This is a bit expensive, so I go for what is cheaper — industrial-grade ground beef (around $2.99 a pound), or cheap cuts of pork (pork belly, pork shoulder loin-picnic-roast, which I can buy for only .99 cents a pound!!!)
I’m just cheap
Truth be told, if I was a quadrillionaire, of course I would only eat uber-expensive cuts of organic-free range-grass fed-pasture fed, Beethoven-played beef, which is killed ‘humanely’. But I am cheap and far too practical. We all know that NON-GMO food is probably better for you, but once again — I prefer being cheap and being more ghetto. I just buy whatever is cheapest.
When I break my fast, it is like food-gasm
Breaking your fast when you are insanely hungry is like an orgasm. I think Nassim Taleb calls breaking a fast the opposite of a hangover.
1. “You must eat a hearty breakfast in order to have ‘fuel’ for the rest of the day!”
This is patently false. I did a 455 pound deadlift (sumo, no straps, no belt, no steroids).
Also millions around the globe don’t eat breakfast or lunch (they break their fast when the sun goes down) during Ramadan. Nobody dies.
2. “But if you eat small regular meals throughout the day, you will ‘speed up’ your metabolism and you will have more ‘regular’ energy throughout the day!”
Who is to say that having a “fast” metabolism is a good thing? If our engine rev’s too high (maxing out your RPM in your Type-R and ALWAYS being in V-TEC mode) is not a good thing. So certainly to ALWAYS have a fast metabolism is probably not a good thing.
Also, when you don’t eat any food during the day, your body starts to burn your fat stores (adipose tissue) in a metabolic process-state called ‘ketosis‘ (the basic concept behind the ‘ketogenic’ diet). I have experimented a ketogenic-approach in my diet with great success. But nowadays truth be told I’m probably following a more ‘carnivore’ diet, because I eat too much meat to be in a state of ‘ketosis’.
3. “But don’t you need to eat a protein bar, or shake, or something before working out to ‘maximize your gains’?“
Does a lion eat a granola bar before hunting a gazelle? Of course not! The hunger of the lion MOTIVATES the lion to move (motivation and move is the same word) to hunt and kill and eat the gazelle. Certainly to eat food before “hunting” for it (hunting and working out is the same thing) would confuse our metabolic system and hormone-signaling processes.
Ironically enough, if you want to maximize your hedonic pleasure in life, fasting is the key. For example:
- Sexual abstinence: When you (finally) blow your load, it is 10000x better than if you rub one out every night to RedTube, YouPorn (or reddit NSFW or reddit gone wild).
- Food abstinence: When you break your fast and eat a massive amount of food, the food tastes 10000000x better than if you are eating all the time!
- PHYSIOLOGY IS THE FUTURE
- Why I Abstain from Alcohol and Weed
- My Thoughts on Vegetarianism and Veganism
- Apex Human Physiological Growth and Muscle Augmentation Theory and Philosophy
- How to Fast
- HORMESIS 101
- MY HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY PHILOSOPHY
- Physiology and Artistic Productivity Tips: Intermittent Fasting, Meat, Powerlifting, Coffee
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
MUSE by KIM
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- The Film Shooter
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- STREET NOTES $ 19
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50