Success as a photographer means to never stop shooting new photos!
If we use this as our definition for photography and art, then perhaps Henri Cartier-Bresson wasn’t a successful photographer (he gave up photography), and we can consider Richard AVEDON (died while on assignment) and Josef Koudelka (in his 80s and still traveling and making new photos) as highly successful.
How to Never Lose Inspiration or Motivation to Make New Photos
We need a new vision of ‘success’ in photography.
Success ain’t about getting a trillion followers, a trillion dollars, or having ‘prestigious’ publications.
No. Success is staying motivated, inspired, and having that child-like sense of wonder to explore the world and make new images!
Why do we lose motivation to make new photos?
- Physiological exhaustion
- Trap of success (we try to ‘one up’ our past successes, which leads to paralysis)
- We fall into artistic nihilism (what is the point of it all?)
Reducing friction to make new photos
- Shoot with RICOH GR III, or iPhone Pro
- Just shoot JPEG (no RAW). Simplify the shooting process.
- Only review and process your photos when you feel like it. Don’t try to ‘force productivity’ from yourself!
- Shoot monochrome: This simplifies everything. Color is more restrictive; more things look interesting in monochrome.
- Allow yourself to shoot anything and everything; irrespective of how ‘serious’ or silly it is!
Photography as a fun game!
Shoot photos as visual play; and never stop!
Just shoot it:
- Enjoy the Process
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- Why Keep Making New Art and Photos, Indefinitely?
- Photography Motivation: What if There is Nothing Interesting to Photograph?
- Move First, Motivation Later
- Motivation Follows the Action
- In Praise of Heroes
- 5 Tips How to Boost Your Creativity
- How to Have Inspiration to Take Photos in the Suburbs
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography