Rest in peace Abbas; your legacy and images live on!
Why I love the photos by Abbas
- His use of surrealism, layers, and depth in his photos.
- Variety of photos; some of them fun and cheerful, others heavier.
- His overall optimistic outlook on life, shown through his positive photos.
- The pure poetry of some of his images takes my breath away, via the minimalist compositions, and the use of epic light.
- His use of humor in his photos!
1. Don’t over-complicate photography; keep it simple!
I know that some photographers have big egos, but photography is simple. In the morning, you put a roll of film in your camera—and today you don’t even have to do this with digital. You take to the streets, you come back home, edit your photographs and show them. It’s that simple.
Don’t complicate photography. Keep it simple. Go out, enjoy your walk, and shoot and make photos! When you go home, choose your favorite photos, and then decide which to share/publish with others!
Another option: Work on an extended photo series, and also work on your sequencing of images.
2. Do you write or draw with light?
Photography can be writing or drawing with light. Which do you do? (you can do both).
There are two ways to think about photography: one is writing with light, and the other is drawing with light.
What are you trying to say with your photos? Every writer writes with a purpose in mind, or an idea they wish to to communicate to the viewer. What do you want to say with your photos?
Isn’t photography “writing with light”? But with the difference that while the writer possesses his word, the photographer is himself possessed by his photo…
3. Get a good pair of shoes and fall in love (with the world/what you photograph)
When asked for advice to aspiring photographers, he said:
Get a good pair of walking shoes and… fall in love.
4. Transcend the world
The world may be color but black and white transcends it.
Photography isn’t just about photographing the world as it is, but to make art which transcends reality!
5. Make stories of how you perceive events and the world!
div id=”q_7666″ class=”select_quote_div” style=”color: #252525; font-family: Roboto; font-size: 21px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: #f7f7f7; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; text-align: left;”>
The choice was to think of oneself either as a photojournalist or an artist. It wasn’t out of humility that I called myself a photojournalist, but arrogance. I thought photojournalism was superior.
The roots of Magnum was photojournalism. But realize that photography is also art!
Now I don’t just make stories about what’s happening. I’m making stories about my way of seeing what’s happening.
p-image-93661 size-full” src=”https://erickimphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/par281080910115905.jpg” width=”418″ height=”627″ />
There’s no objectivity in photography, even with “unbiased” photojournalism and photography. Write your own truths with your photos.
6. Shoot spontaneously/follow your gut
7. Make social, economic, religious statements with your photos
What I’m interested in is not only the personal belief, it’s what people do in the name of God — sometimes the great things, and sometimes the stupid and violent things they do in his name — that’s more interesting to me.
Timeless wisdom from the masters of street photography.
“He without a past has no future.”
- Why Study the Masters of Photography?
- Great Female Master Photographers
- Cheat Sheet of the Masters of Photography
- 100 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography
- Beginner’s Guide to the Masters of Street Photography
- Download All Articles >
The Masters of Photography
Classics never die:
- Akira Kurosawa
- Alexander Rodchenko
- Alfred Stieglitz
- Alec Soth
- Alex Webb
- Alexey Brodovitch
- Anders Petersen
- Andre Kertesz
- Ansel Adams
- Blake Andrews
- Bruce Davidson
- Bruce Gilden
- Constantine Manos
- Daido Moriyama
- Dan Winters
- David Alan Harvey
- David Hurn
- Diane Arbus
- Dorothea Lange
- Edward Weston
- Elliott Erwitt
- Eugene Atget
- Eugene Smith
- Fan Ho
- Garry Winogrand
- Gilles Peress
- Gordon Parks
- Helen Levitt
- Henri Cartier-Bresson
- Irving Penn
- Jacob Aue Sobol
- Jeff Mermelstein
- Joel Meyerowitz
- Joel Sternfeld
- Josef Koudelka / Part 2
- Josh White
- László Moholy-Nagy
- Lee Friedlander
- Lisette Model
- Magnum Contact Sheets
- Magnum Photographers
- Mark Cohen
- Martin Parr
- Martine Franck
- Mary Ellen Mark
- Nan Goldin
- Rene Burri
- Richard Avedon
- Richard Kalvar
- Robert Capa
- Robert Frank
- Saul Leiter
- Sergio Larrain
- Sebastião Salgado
- Shomei Tomatsu
- Stephen Shore
- The History of Street Photography
- Todd Hido
- Tony Ray-Jones
- Trent Parke
- Vivian Maier
- Walker Evans
- William Eggleston
- William Klein
- Zoe Strauss
For more inspirational free resources, join ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER and be the first to get exclusive content, access to books, presets, and new upcoming workshops.
- Photography 101
- Street Photography 101
- Photography Composition
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
MUSE by KIM
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- The Film Shooter
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
Street Photography Starter Kit
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book