Why do I love color photography? Simply put, I think the colors of color film just aesthetically look nicer than digital color photos!
For more inspiration, pick up a copy of FILM NOTES.
Aesthetics are all subjective, so I’m not going to say color film photography looks better for everybody; just for myself.
But why do I think color film photos look better than digital photos?
Well, these are my theories:
1. Color film is more random:
You’re not quite sure what the colors are gonna look like after you shoot the photos. Color film (and film in general) has chaotic properties which I think are good for aesthetics. Random light leaks, flares, make for better looking photos.
## 2. Timeless:
Kodak Portra 400 (my favorite film) ain’t gonna change for a a long time. Whereas my digital RAW photos always change. Having an aesthetic consistency I think, makes you have a better photographic body of work.
3. Better skin tones
Portra 400 looks great for skin tones for some reason. I can never get my digital photos to have the same tone.
Perhaps it’s the organic and fleshy nature of real skin which looks better with organic photographic film?
Conclusion: Cultivate your own aesthetics
Anyways I’m not sure why I prefer color film, but I’m gonna start shooting more Portra 400 when I get back home from living abroad.
But for yourself friend; just figure out what aesthetics you like, and make photos that give you joy and pleasure!
JUST SHOOT IT.
Downtown LA in Color
Mini Street Photography Starter Kit
If you’re starting in street photography, here is my free and open-source ‘MINI Street Photography Starter Kit’. For more inspiration and dopeness, see the full version: “Street Photography Starter Kit“.
FREE ERIC KIM EBOOKS
CONTACT SHEETS by ERIC KIM
## ERIC KIM PHOTOS
## RAW photos
## ERIC KIM LIGHTROOM PRESETS
## PDF Visualizations
Made by ANNETTE KIM:
## Black and White Street Photography
## Contact Sheets by ERIC KIM
## PDF EBOOK: Street Photography Contact Sheets
Here are all of the free downloads available to you, with love:
For you to use these images to illustrate blog posts. For you to look at these full-resolution images to analyze composition.
For you to use these free Lightroom presets to actually make your digital RAW photos look good.
For you to empower yourself. Because I think that information is power. Information is everything.
Information is money and control of the world (just consider that scene from the James Bond 007 Skyfall at the end of the film — the guy who controlled the information controlled the world).
With this information, you can learn how to conquer your fears, find more personal meaning in your photography and life, and seek to empower others through the art of photography.
Download all PDF books:
Photography Series PDF Books by Eric Kim
Individual PDF books:
- 31 Days to Overcome Your Fear of Shooting Street Photography
- 100 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography
- Color Manual
- Film Street Photography Manual
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Leica Manual
- Letters from a Street Photographer
- Monochrome Manual
- Personal Photography Manifesto
- Photography 101
- Photography by Eric Kim
- Street Photography 101
- Street Photography 102
- Street Photography Aphorisms
- Street Photography by Eric Kim
- Street Photography Contact Sheets Volume II
- Street Photography Contact Sheets
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- The Street Photography Project Manual
- The Street Portrait Manual
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- Zen Photography by Eric Kim
- Eric Kim Presets 2018
- Eric Kim Chroma Tokyo Presets 2018
- Eric Kim Chroma Kyoto Presets 2017
- Eric Kim Lightroom Presets 2017
VISUALIZATIONS & RESOURCES by HAPTIC
- FILM NOTES BLANK WORKSHEETS
- All Visualizations by Annette Kim
- “How to Overcome Fears of Photographing Strangers“(11/2/2o17)
- “What to Look For When Shooting in the Streets” (11/8/2017)
- “What is the Best Camera for Street Photography?” (11/22/2017)
- “Travel Photography Tips” (12/10/2017)
- “Introduction to Composition in Photography” (12/18/2017) New!
- “Zen of Eric: On Life, Photography, Art, and Work” (12/29/2017) New!
- “New Year’s Photography Resolutions” (12/31/2017) New!
- “How to Monetize Your Photography” (1/23/2018) New!
- “10 Visual Challenges to Boost Your Creative Photography” (3/21/2018) New!
- “Smartphone Street Photography” (4/19/2018) New!
- “Eric Kim Lightroom Workflow” (5/12/2018) New!
- “10 Ways to Boost Your Creativity” (5/30/2018) New!
PHOTOS by ERIC KIM
- ERIC KIM PORTFOLIO 2017 (jpeg/380 mb)
- Medium-format photos by ERIC KIM (.jpeg/174 mb)
- RAW Eric Kim Photos
All the information on this site, including photos, images, videos, articles, books, or text is free and open source– meaning you can do whatever you want with it.
You can remix it, translate it, or sell it for a profit.
The reason why I am doing this is to help empower you with information. And I feel that freedom is information, and power.
Eric Kim Blog Offline
If you plan on going on a flight, or going somewhere without internet access (and still want access to this blog), you can download this entire blog (offline, without images) as a 1.4GB (yes, very big) direct download. All you need to do is extract this .ZIP file, and open up ‘index.html’ to access the entire site. Have fun :)
My best articles as text files:
My most popular videos (2GB):
- Composition in Street Photography (PDF, Keynote)
- 7 Lessons from the Masters of Street Photography (Google Slides)
- How to Shoot Street Portraits (PDF, Keynote)
- How to Conquer Your Fear of Shooting Street Photography (PDF, Keynote)
- Street Photography 101 (PDF, Keynote)
- Street Photography Projects (PDF)
See more downloads on archive.org >