Photography is the best tool for self-therapy.
Why is photography self therapy?
First of all, photography is a tool that helps us be creative every day.
All humans are creative. If we don’t have a creative outlet to express ourselves, we become frustrated, depressed, and lose a sense of purpose or direction in life.
Many of us turn to photography because it is an instant way to make visual pictures and art. Even Henri Cartier-Bresson called the camera and photography: “Instant sketches”.
To me, when I am out making pictures, I feel less anxiety, frustration, and fear in my life. I don’t worry about finances, family drama, or concern myself with the future. I fall into a “photo zen” flow— where the only thing that exists is myself, the camera, and reality. It is a loss of my ego, a loss of a sense of self, time, and I feel self-elevated.
Take your camera on a walk to clear your mind
Whenever I need to clear my mind, I just go on a walk with my camera. This one painter Paul Klee once said,
Painting is taking a line for a walk.
I think photography is:
Taking your camera for a walk.
When you walk your camera, and walk yourself — you feel better. As humans, we are designed to walk. The less we walk, the more depressed we get. Movement is tied to human well-being, and also by walking and taking pictures, we are killing two birds with one stone:
- Making pictures (artistic outlet)
- Walking (exercise, walking meditation, clearing of the mind)
If we add street photography to the picture, then you do even better — now we can interact with strangers. We can have a nice chat, and be social.
Take your photography seriously.
Don’t take your photography lightly– take it seriously. Take it as a tonic for your soul.
Photography is self-therapy. Make pictures to help empower yourself.
Therefore, if anyone tries to prevent you from going out and making photos, be adamant. Be adamant that you must photograph for yourself. And consider, the more you empower yourself, the more you will empower your family and f
Photography self-therapy assignments
- For a month, every day, for lunch — don’t eat lunch with any of your colleagues or workmates. Rather, go on a walk with your camera for 30 minutes or so, and shoot street photography. Pack your own lunch, or grab something quick on-the-go.
- When you are feeling anxious, stressed, or mad, shoot a self-portrait of yourself. Examine the look on your face– the creases, furrows, and how your face looks. Ask yourself, “Is this how I like to look?” By photographing your own face under stressful moments, you will better understand your physiology.
- Show gratitude through your pictures: As an assignment, only photograph your loved ones for a month (no other subjects). This will help you find more appreciation and love for those individuals in your life you truly care about.
- How to Become Stronger
- How to Conquer Depression With Photography
- What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
- How to Respect Yourself
- How to Believe in Yourself
- How to Steer Fear
- How to Conquer Pessimism
- How to Conquer Anxiety
- How to Overcome Your Fear of People
- How to Be Optimistic
- Why I Don’t Take My Anger Seriously
- HOW TO BECOME MORE POWERFUL
- HOW TO BECOME SUPERHUMAN
- How to Give a Fuck Less
- ALL IN.
- Why I Cut My Dad Out of My Life.
- Your iPhone Only Has 5% Battery Left.
- How not to give a FUCK about your REPUTATION
- WHAT IS A HUMAN?
- The Regret Minimization Framework in Photography and Life
- How to Be a HERO
- Conquer Your Fears by Making Fear Your Slave
- Rule Circumstances; Don’t Let Your Circumstances Rule You
- How to Love Yourself
- How to Turn Shit into Gold
- Your Parents Fuck You Up
- What Kills You Makes You Stronger
- How to Be Patient
- How to Conquer Anger
- How to Bounce Back in Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Nothing Unlimited is Good; Nothing Good is Unlimited
- You Have No Limits
- Can 1’s and 0’s Hurt You?
- The Envious Moment is Flying Now
- Tomorrow We’ll Sail the Wide Seas Again
- How to Forgive Others
- Focus on Your Actions, Not the Results
- Everything Will Be Alright
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Be a Spartan Photographer
- How to Overcome Your Fears in Life
- How to Stop Worrying in Life
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- 3 Stoic Techniques that Can Help You Gain Tranquility
- Can People Weaker than You Hurt You?
- Does a Doctor Get Angry at a Crazy Patient?
- Own Nothing
The Stoic Masters
Learn from the master stoics: