First of all, right now is the best time to be alive as a photographer. Pre-COVID, it seems the world was quite boring and static. Now, everything we photograph is interesting. Simply to leave your house and go somewhere or do something is an act of heroism.
Adventure as a risk, with high reward
To travel in today’s world is actually a real risk. And what is the secret to the best life?
The life with the maximum amount of risk, and reward.
The future of travel is difficult, risky and bold … but exciting.
Traveling to Lisbon/Porto (Portugal) is apparently quite easy if you have proof of vaccination. Also, Mexico City (and Mexico in general) as ideal travel photography experiences for Americans and others.
Technology is optimistic
The big thing with digital photography which is so great:
The future of photography (in terms of technological equipment) can only get better.
And of course our beloved RICOH GR digital camera. Imagine how great the new Ricoh GR IV camera will be, the RICOH GR V, etc?
The photography platform space is waiting to get disrupted
arsbeta.com as my first very modest attempt to make a ‘productive’ and ‘useful’ photography social media platform.
Currently, all social media platforms are bad. Especially Instagram, the #1 creativity killer.
The future towards a non-metrificied social media platform. An online community of mutual sharing, but also constructive feedback.
Future images that have yet been shot (by you)
I think currently the secret is this:
- Shooting monochrome (high contrast black and white JPEG on RICOH GR III)
- Shooting your photos as dark as possible (ADAP).
- Using Apple Photos to organize all your photos (much faster and better iCloud sync than Lightroom)
- The joy of using iPad to view, edit and select photos
So the big thing is this:
The best photo (or your favorite photo) has yet been shot.
Great films that you have yet watched
I am a huge fan of cinema, especially when it makes you think, expands your mind (philosophical films). This is why I have a penchant for sociological films (Elysium, District 9) or Blade Runner (both), the Matrix, 2001 space odyssey, etc.
How will your personal life change and evolve?
Photographing the birth of my first child Seneca. Photographing pregnancy. I had no idea how life would be different before Cindy got pregnant with Seneca, and now that Seneca is alive and doing well … he is changing so much every single day. SENECAPROJECT as the logical evolution from the CINDYPROJECT.
I have no idea what your life situation is but consider:
- One day you may have a child (or MORE children)
- One day you might become a grandparent (and photograph your grandchildren)
- One day you might meet a new life partner (get married, domestic partnership, etc)
If you want a spark of motivation, ERIC KIM WORKSHOPS for you:
- SF BAY AREA STREET PHOTO ADVANCED WORKSHOP (November 13, Saturday 2021)
- LEARN FROM MASTERS ONLINE WORKSHOP (December 11, Saturday, 2021)
HAPTIC: The best creative and motivational tools for photographers:
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book (OPEN ACCESS)
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition
- HENRI WRIST STRAP (CREMA BROWN)
- HENRI WRIST STRAP (PRO) // in CREMA BROWN x PHANTOM BLACK // PHANTOM BLACK ON AMAZON
- ERIC KIM NECK STRAP (MARK II): JUST SHOOT IT.
The computer (digital camera, your laptop, your phone, your iPad, etc) as the ultimate creative tool.
Recognizing you aren’t just a photographer, you are a visual artist.
The purpose of life is to be creative. To create. To make photos, and to strive to make (better) photos.
JUST SHOOT IT.
Just shoot more photos, don’t worry whether they are good or not. Upload them to your own photography blog, or arsbeta.com.
If this inspired or motivated you, feel free to forward to a friend. ERIC KIM NEWS.