The problem we face as photographers: we only think inside the box, inside the frame.
Photography is more interesting — when we think of reality outside the frame.
We must realize —that there are so many opportunities outside of the frame.
Don’t live inside a box.
Another way to think — think outside the box.
In life, we are given boxes. Pre packaged boxes and templates.
For example, we are told to think inside the box— Become a lawyer, doctor, accountant, business person. We are never told to think outside the box, and make a new career for ourselves —a career that doesn’t exist (yet). I’m still surprised that my “career” is street photography and blogging.
There are more options than you think exist
When we try to make decisions in life, we are given choices A, B, C.
But we must realize, there are OTHER options out there we cannot see. Which are options D, E, F, … Z to infinity.
Photographers try to make sense of chaos in life
Of course in photography, our job is to control reality, and make some sense and order of the chaos of reality — by boxing reality inside our viewfinder and frame.
Make your own spaces
But to stay inspired in life — realize that life has no limits. Life has no frame or box.
Think outside the box, and think outside the frame.
Don’t miss your chance to invest in an unforgettable experience:
- Jan 27-28: LONDON / Conquer Your Fears in Street Photography (December 31 deadline for early—bird registration)
- Feb 21-22: NYC / Conquer Your Fears in Street Photography – New
- Feb 24-25: NYC / Dynamic Street Photography Composition Workshop – New
- May 2-5: KYOTO-UJI / Zen Creative Photography Experience
- May 9-13: TOKYO / Travel Street Photography Experience
- Photography 101
- Street Photography 101
- Photography Composition
Join ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER and be the first to get exclusive content, access to books, presets, and new upcoming workshops.
Why do you make photos? Reflect in PHOTO JOURNAL:
- Photography is the Elixir of Life
- Why You Must Photograph
- How to See as a Photographer
- How to Delete Your Pictures
- Your Camera is a Blessing
- Reality vs. Perception in Photography
- What’s Your Final Aim in Photography?
- If We Delete Our Pictures, Do We Delete Ourselves?
- There is No Truth in Photography; All is Allowed
- MEMENTO MORI PHOTOGRAPHY
- YOU ARE A PHOTO GOD.
- How to Gain More Control, Freedom, and Happiness in Your Photography
- The Will to Shoot
- The Art of Constantly BECOMING
- The Frame
- How to Increase Your Visual Perception
- Could an AI Shoot the Same Photo as You?
- A Photographer’s Guide to Seeing
- THE LESS REAL YOUR PHOTOS, THE BETTER.
- Photography as Experience
- SHOOT YOU.
- MAKE PICTURES, NOT PHOTOGRAPHS
- Why You Should Ignore Photography and Art Critics
- Do You Live to Photograph, or Photograph to Live?
- Living a Good Life is More Important Than Photography
- How to Start Fresh in Your Photography