Everything you need to know to get started in street photography (and to eventually master it)!
What is street photography?
Street photography is the art of photographing strangers. It can be done in a public or semi-public space. At the park, beach, mall, subway, in the streets, in a library, hotel lobby, airport; any place where humans congregate.
With or without permission?
Sometimes you ask for permission, sometimes you shoot candidly without permission. It depends more on the situation, your mood, and circumstance.
When I want to get hyper close and shoot a “street portrait“, I’ll ask for permission.
Why shoot street photography?
Now this is the real question:
Why shoot street photography? Why does street photography interest you? Why do you want to pursue it?
Reasons why you might want to shoot street photography:
- Your hunger for adventure (photographing strangers gives you a “sense of place”). Works well in travel street photography.
- The belief that there’s nothing more beautiful than humans. Therefore to photograph humans as the apex form of photography-art.
- The fun challenge and hormonal rush from shooting street photography: The great adrenaline rush from street photography.
The best camera for street photography
I’d recommend RICOH GR III or the iPhone Pro. The ideal is a camera which is small, compact, and always with you.
What’s the best lens or focal length for street photography?
I generally find the wider your lens, the more interestingly your street photos.
Who are the master street photographers I should study?
If you’re new or looking for inspiration, this is the order I would recommend:
Street photography techniques
- Shoot with a flash
- Fishing technique: Find an interesting background and wait for someone to enter the frame.
- Ask for permission: First compliment your subject then ask for permission to “make their portrait”.
- Pretend like you’re shooting something behind your subject.
What’s the best way to share my street photos?
Start your own blog (WordPress.org or WordPress.com).
For feedback on your street photos, upload them to arsbeta.com (my photography feedback platform).
What makes a good street photograph?
How to take your street photography to the next level
- Shoot with a wider lens (and get closer to your subject).
- Experiment with digital medium format street photography (Pentax 645Z, Fujifilm GFX 50R/50S).
- Experiment and innovate with new and asymmetric street photography compositions: For example, tilt your camera in street photography [dutch angle], experiment with unique perspectives [super low angle].
- Create more layers, depth, and dynamism in your photos. For inspiration look at Alex Webb, Constantine Manos, and Nikos E.
Keep learning: Street Photography 101 >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
MUSE by KIM
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
Street Photography Starter Kit
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- The Film Shooter
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149