Very big fan of the Fujifilm GFX 50R, and think digital medium format is the future of photography:
Download 1GB .ZIP file of before and after Fujifilm GFX50R (exported RAW and processed JPEG images):
Fujifilm GFX 50R photos shot in RAW, processed in Lightroom
What I love about the Fujifilm GFX 50R:
- Super light weight: You can actually carry this camera with you everywhere you go.
- Rangefinder-style electronic viewfinder in top left of camera is a good stylistic choice, and good ergonomics.
- Menus are nice and simple.
- Great value (best bang for the buck digital medium format camera on the market for price).
- Camera is very responsive, fast autofocus, quick buffering when shooting photos.
- LCD is good, swivel screen is useful.
- Good dials, superfluous buttons.
- Classic rangefinder design.
- Phenomenal image quality, I recommend shooting RAW and having fun processing the pictures.
And to be frank, no real cons for this camera. In terms of the functionality, price, design, image quality, I would give it a perfect 10/10.
This or the Pentax 645z?
At this point the GFX 50R and the Pentax 645z are the best value digital medium format cameras on the market.
Personally I think I still prefer the Pentax 645z. I prefer the look of the JPEG (film simulation) from the Pentax over the Fujifilm GFX 50R. Furthermore, for myself I prefer the aesthetic of the Pentax 645z sensor over the Fujifilm (the 645z sensor seems to be sharper, and more gritty):
Of course the Pentax 645z is far heavier, and not as everyday. But I still prefer how the 645z looks and feels over the Fujifilm GFX 50R. But this is just my personal feeling. If I were to buy a digital medium format camera right now, I would get a used Pentax 645z and shoot mostly portraits and urban landscapes with it (not street photography, as it is too heavy).
Why digital medium format?
Why I think digital medium format is the future:
- Super epic ability to post process photos. It seems it has 10x more detail in the RAW files than any other camera sensor I’ve used. Perhaps this might lead to new and interesting photo aesthetics we have yet seen or witnessed.
- At this point APS-C and Full Frame looks pretty identical in terms of image quality. If investing in a camera system, I’d recommend digital medium format (and a Ricoh GR II as an everyday camera, or just your phone).
- Digital medium format cameras will keep getting cheaper as time goes on. Also, people will always want to differentiate themselves from others, by having something different (digital medium format is still unpaved territory).
More thoughts to come.
ERIC KIM WALLETProduct on sale
MUSE BY KIMProduct on sale
ERIC KIM NECK STRAP (MARK II)Product on sale
HENRI NECK STRAP MARK IVProduct on sale$ 179 – $ 250
ERIC KIM WRIST STRAP MARK IIProduct on sale
HENRI WRIST STRAP (PRO)Product on sale
HENRI SHOULDER STRAPProduct on sale
HENRI WRIST STRAP (CREMA BROWN)Product on sale