Resistance: gravity which holds us to the earth. You are a spaceship, wanting to break free from the tyranny of gravity… expelling your powerful force to break free, to explore new creative galaxies, new horizons, and new potential futures for yourself.
In photography, resistance includes:
- Resistance to bringing your camera everywhere you go: Solution is to use a small or light and compact camera (use a phone, or small compact camera like RICOH GR).
- Resistance in photography… because of complication of making a picture. Solution: Shoot in “p” (program) mode, or the simplest automatic setting. “Set it and forget it” is our motto.
- Perfectionism as resistance. Solution: give yourself freedom to make shitty pictures. If you take 10,000 bad pictures, you’re bound to get at least 1 good picture (law of averages).
- Nervousness to take a picture of a stranger. Solution: Ask for permission… expecting to get rejected. In street photography, try the “5 yes, 5 no” challenge from STREET NOTES.
- Not having inspiration to shoot. Solution: Treat photography like playing. A child doesn’t need to be “forced” to play… a child plays for fun. Therefore, photography must be fun for you!
- Resistance to taking a picture, because of the potential stress of selecting, editing, and processing the picture. Solution: shoot JPEG, not raw.
Assignments to overcome resistance in your photography
Some assignments to try:
- Take 1,000 pictures in a day. Over-shoot to overcome resistance.
- Only use your phone to take pictures for a month (lock your fancy camera in the closet).
- Shoot at least 1 roll of film a day, for a week (FILM NOTES assignment).
- Take pictures in your own house. Practice composition by shooting the corner of the ceiling in your home.
- Start a self-portrait “selfie” project.
Find more creative inspiration with HAPTIC INDUSTRIES.
Just shoot it:
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography