For myself, it seems the primary benefit of traveling, living nomadically, or being abroad is this:
Fewer distractions from back home. More focus on myself, my thoughts, and my creative work and ideas.
Learning about other cultures, or your own culture?
A big thing:
A lot of people travel to discover FOREIGN cultures. However, I see traveling in foreign places to better understand your own home culture.
For example, after traveling to Cuba for a week, I better understand America and capitalism — and find much more appreciation for things back home. Furthermore, I also can better critique American culture via traveling.
You can transcend your culture
You are a citizen of the world. Don’t let any culture define you. This is why the notion of “doing it for the culture” is insane. You should strive to create yourself and your own culture. And it can be your own culture; a culture of one.
Where to travel to?
There are a trillion places to travel to. But my thought is this:
Perhaps best to travel to a place where you can maximally DISCONNECT.
For offline thinking, I like:
Is the goal to permanently be on the road?
I think the ultimate goal is:
Never stop moving, never stop progressing, never stop evolving, never stop growing, never stop creating/challenging yourself.
“It is all about progression. Loiterers should be arrested.”JAY Z
Standing still is death.
Travel Photography 101
- Via Negativa Traveling
- Heavy, Bulky, and Big is Bad
- Travel Photography Project Ideas
- What Should I Pack Before a Photography Trip?
- How to Get into a Travel Mindset
- My Favorite 20 Travel Street Photography Cities
Travel Photography City Guides
- New York City Street Photography Tips by ERIC KIM
- Istanbul Street Photography Tips
- ERIC KIM HANOI GUIDE
Travel Photography Articles
- My Favorite Travel Street Photography Equipment
- Why I Love Traveling
- 10 Tips How to Take Better Travel Photos
- Life Lessons I’ve Learned Living Abroad and on the Road for the Last 2 Years
- How to Make Better Travel Pictures
- 10 Travel Hacks
- 25 Travel Photography Tips For Beginners
- Will Traveling Make You a Better Photographer?
- Why Travel?
- How to Travel as a Photographer With Family
- Economy of Movement
- On Travel and Street Photography
- 10 Tips For Traveling and Shooting Street Photography