You don’t ‘force’ yourself to work on a photography project
A project is simply an undertaking of creating a collection of images on a certain topic which is important or meaningful to you.
For example, here are photos from my grandfather’s funeral:
These are the lessons:
- Photograph anything and everything which is meaningful or interesting to you “in the moment”.
- Don’t feel the need to edit so tightly. Better to stay loose and flexible as you go.
- Good to stick with one camera, one lens, one aesthetic/approach during the project.
Revisit your old projects
This is key:
Look at your old projects.
I derive almost as much joy at looking at old photos as looking at new projects.
For example, when I look at the books I’ve made, I derive GREAT JOY!
And to me, BOTH e-books and print books are meaningful to me.
BOOKS BY KIM
My favorite books:
PHOTOGRAPHY PDF BOOKS
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography / Kindle Edition
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Street Photography / Kindle Edition
- STREET HUNT / Kindle Edition
- STREET NOTES: Mobile Edition / Kindle Edition
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER / Kindle Edition
- STREET PHOTOGRAPHY 103
- Dynamic Composition Manual
- Photography Startup Manual
- PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS
- PHOTOGRAPHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP MANUAL by ERIC KIM
- STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MANUAL by ERIC KIM
- THE PHOTOGRAPHER by ERIC KIM
- The Art of Street Photography
- 100 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography
- Zen Photography
- Personal Photography Manual
- Street Photography Contact Sheets Volume II
- Street Photography Contact Sheets Volume I
- Street Photography Composition Manual
- Street Portrait Manual
- Street Photography 101
- Street Photography 102
- Color Manual
- Monochrome Manual
- 31 Days to Overcome Your Fear in Street Photography
- Letters From a Street Photographer
- Street Photography Aphorisms, Heuristics, and Sayings
Back to projects
A project can be as rigid or loose as you want. I like the dynamic, flexible principle.
Sometimes you are rigid, sometimes you are flexible.
I call this the ‘bamboo’ theory: bamboo is BOTH insanely strong, and insanely flexible.
Documenting a certain time and place in your life
One way to approach a photography project:
Just make a collection of images of a certain time and place in your life.
Also, you can just allow yourself to shoot ‘randomly’, then edit and sequence the photos LATER.
For example my ‘City of Angles’ project:
To shoot street photography in Los Angeles, and to show my own personal view of the beautiful (fallen) “angels” of the city.
Projects are whatever you want them to be.
Whatever project you decide to work on, work on a project which you feel deeply about.
Start it when you feel like it, stop it when you feel like it!
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- The Film Shooter
Street Photography Starter Kit
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
MUSE by KIM
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39