A graphic visualization made by ANNETTE KIM on how you can conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
If you want your own photography visualization, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for commissions.
Baby Steps: The fishing Technique
- Choose your scene
- Wait for your subject to enter your frame
- Snap your shot
Examples of Street photos with fishing technique
Get closer: The Video camera technique
People don’t care if you shoot a video, but they don’t like you shooting pictures in street photography.
The concept: pretend you’re recording a video, to get closer.
- Pretend to record a video
Move closer to your subject
Snap your shot
Pro tip: Do not move your camera down from your eye or check the photo on the screen this will give your video camera technique away.
The video camera technique is probably the best way you can be invisible and stealth in street photography.
Asking permission: The social technique
Not all street photographs need to be candid. Asking for permission is a good way to overcome your fear of photographing strangers.
1. “May I make your portrait?”
- “Make a portrait”: Artistic and sincere
- “Take a photo”: Cheap and selfish
2. “What is your life story?”
- Ask questions and connect with people in a positive way.
- Thank and compliment your subjects for saying “Yes”
3. “Show me your power pose” / “Can you make my portrait next?”
- Invite your subjects to be a part of the photo-making process.
Quick tips to conquer your fear of photographing strangers
Before shooting street photography, go over possible scenarios to mentally BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE:
- Be friendly and genuine
- Take photos of your subjects while they are speaking to capture candid and unposed pictures
- Take as many pictures as possible when shooting street photography. People often feel flattered by your request to take their picture, not burdened.
- Don’t hesitate asking people that you want to photograph them; you might never see them again.
- Ask people who you think they would say “No”. Surprisingly, few people actually decline and say “no” to your request to make a street portrait of them.
Final thoughts and tips: LESSONS FROM ERIC KIM
Some brief ideas to keep you motivated, inspired, and confident when shooting street photography:
- As a street photographer, you are not a thief; you are a VISUAL ARTIST.
- Know why you make photos, to confidently communicate why you want to make a portrait of your subjects.
- Get accustomed to the possibility of rejection– prepare yourself for the ‘worst-case scenario’. In reality, the worst-case scenario isn’t that bad.
- Try to take small risks every day, to experience new variations in life.
- Be like a kid and HAVE FUN!
Make your own photography visualization
Access Street Photography Visualizations by ANNETTE KIM
Don’t miss the newest free photography visualization “What to look for when shooting street photography” available now in the Haptic Shop.
Ultimate Beginner’s Guide for Street Photography Series
HAPTIC presents the Ultimate Beginner’s Guide for Street Photography Series — visualizations of essential photography lessons and tips by ANNETTE KIM. Annette researched, synthesized, and visualized the key parts of this series to present to you a fun, easy to read VISUALIZATION of photography fundamentals.
Newest Photography Visualizations
For a limited time, download the following FREE visualizations designed by Annette Kim. Keep these guides on your phone, tablet, computer to read on your commute, as reminders when shooting on the streets, and for daily inspiration. Download both full resolution PDFs by processing your free ‘order’ here. Don’t forget to check back regularly to see what new resources and visualizations we add to the page.
- “How to Overcome Fears of Photographing Strangers”(11/2/2o17)
- “What to Look For When Shooting in the Streets” (11/8/2017) New!
- To receive the latest visualizations, exclusive content, access to books, presets and artistic information, join the free ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER.
FEATURED ARTIST: ANNETTE KIM
Each VISUALIZATION is original artwork designed by Annette Kim, distilled from the ERIC KIM photography lessons and resources.
ANNETTE KIM: VITRUVIAN CAMERA ARTWEAR
HAPTIC presents VITRUVIAN CAMERA ARTWEAR by ANNETTE KIM.
VITRUVIAN CAMERA is an homage to Leonardo da Vinci, and his passion of combining technology and art. By wearing VITRUVIAN CAMERA proudly on your chest, it will reveal your passion for photography — ‘painting with light.’
VITRUVIAN CAMERA is ARTWEAR — to inspire yourself everyday, to pay homage to the artistic masters of the past, and to also pave your own path in photography.
100% of the proceeds directly supports the artist.
VITRUVIAN CAMERA is an original artwork hand sketched by Annette Kim. Inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man, Annette researched the history and science of camera design in order to produce this conceptual camera.
The camera embodies the vision of the ‘ideal’ camera based on the rules of architecture and design:
Video Interview with Annette Kim
Join the inner-circle
When you join ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER, you will gain access to:
- A curated list of free ebooks
- The best resources on how to improve your photography
- The first to access new information and educational tools such as the Forum photography community
- The latest news about workshops, opportunities, HAPTIC products, and photography news
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- The Film Shooter
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
MUSE by KIM
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
Street Photography Starter Kit
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79