To make good pictures, first start off with a simple background.
How to make pictures with a simple background:
- First look for a simple background, then ask your subject to move in front of the simple background.
- Crouch down very low when photographing your subject, and photograph them against a simple architectural background (leading lines in buildings), or the simple sky.
- Use a flash: Flash darkens the background, and therefore simplifies the scene.
- Shoot black and white: Monochrome is more simple, and direct.
- Fishing technique: Find a simple background, and wait for your subject to enter the scene (Street Photography 101).
For more inspiration see STREET PHOTOGRAPHY VISUALIZATIONS.
Why simple background?
A simple background is the fundamental principle behind ‘figure to ground’.
You want strong separation between the subject (figure) and the background (ground).
Strong black and white figure to ground examples:
Strong figure to ground examples in color:
Learn more about How to Shoot Photography Color.
Also, Photography Color Theory.
Push yourself outside out your comfort zone with STREET NOTES: Mobile Edition.
Pictures by ERIC KIM with simple backgrounds
Here are some of my favorite pictures with simple backgrounds:
Street Photography Visualizations by ANNETTE KIM
Don’t miss the newest free photography visualization “What to look for when shooting street photography” available now in the Haptic Shop.
Ultimate Beginner’s Guide for Street Photography Series
HAPTIC presents the Ultimate Beginner’s Guide for Street Photography Series — visualizations of essential photography lessons and tips by ANNETTE KIM. Annette researched, synthesized, and visualized the key parts of this series to present to you a fun, easy to read VISUALIZATION of photography fundamentals.
Newest Photography Visualizations
For a limited time, download the following FREE visualizations designed by Annette Kim. Keep these guides on your phone, tablet, computer to read on your commute, as reminders when shooting on the streets, and for daily inspiration. Download both full resolution PDFs by processing your free ‘order’ here. Don’t forget to check back regularly to see what new resources and visualizations we add to the page.
- “How to Overcome Fears of Photographing Strangers”(11/2/2o17)
- “What to Look For When Shooting in the Streets” (11/8/2017) New!
- To receive the latest visualizations, exclusive content, access to books, presets and artistic information, join the free ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER.
FEATURED ARTIST: ANNETTE KIM
Each VISUALIZATION is original artwork designed by Annette Kim, distilled from the ERIC KIM photography lessons and resources.
ANNETTE KIM: VITRUVIAN CAMERA ARTWEAR
HAPTIC presents VITRUVIAN CAMERA ARTWEAR by ANNETTE KIM.
VITRUVIAN CAMERA is an homage to Leonardo da Vinci, and his passion of combining technology and art. By wearing VITRUVIAN CAMERA proudly on your chest, it will reveal your passion for photography — ‘painting with light.’
VITRUVIAN CAMERA is ARTWEAR — to inspire yourself everyday, to pay homage to the artistic masters of the past, and to also pave your own path in photography.
100% of the proceeds directly supports the artist.
VITRUVIAN CAMERA is an original artwork hand sketched by Annette Kim. Inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man, Annette researched the history and science of camera design in order to produce this conceptual camera.
The camera embodies the vision of the ‘ideal’ camera based on the rules of architecture and design:
Video Interview with Annette Kim
Join the inner-circle
When you join ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER, you will gain access to: