A practical life idea: anything that motivates or inspires you is a good thing!
Never stop making your own artwork!
I think one of the best ways to live a more fulfilling/happy life is to never stop making your own artwork.
The difficult thing is staying motivated/inspired to keep making new art.
Don’t let others super-impose their artistic taste upon you
Unfortunately in modern society, there is elitism in art. There is ‘high brow’ art, and there is a lot of racism/classicism in art.
For example, why is it that European art is more respected than African art?
Why is it that people look down on hip hop music, whereas they venerate old-school European ‘classical’ music?
Any art which inspires you is good!
My practical suggestion:
Consume more artwork which inspires/motivates you to make your own stuff!
For example, whatever audio, visual, film, video, etc which stimulates you to create is good!
Avoid artwork that bores you
I think we all have an eclectic taste that we must continue to cultivate.
For example, I find a lot of inspiration in old-school cinema (Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick), but mostly find myself bored with all the flashy-new films in cinema today.
Yet, I get the most inspiration in music from really new stuff– I prefer modern hip hop from the old school stuff. For example, a lot of new music from MIGOS, Kanye West, PUHSA T, interests me more than the old-school hip hop (Tribe Called Quest, etc).
For artwork, I find inspiration from everywhere. I love the artwork of Michelangelo, traditional Roman statues (The winged victory), Andy Warhol, George Condo, Jean Michel Basquiat, Picasso, etc.
I love painting, photography, cinema; it is all good to me!
Don’t put boundaries on where you find inspiration
There is an infinite pool of inspiration you can draw from. Don’t discriminate!
Find inspiration from poetry (The Illiad by Homer, or the poetry of Horace), or hip hop music. Find inspiration from conversations you have with kids or strangers on the streets. Find inspiration from digital and analogue art.
Become a ‘full stack’ artist– build your audio strength (start making your own music/beats). Build your visual skills (start drawing, sketching, painting, making sculpture, making photos, making films). Build your verbal skills (poetry, freestyle rapping, or writing poems).
Stuff you can make today
- If you’re new to music, just make your own beats via ‘loops’ in Garage Band. Super simple.
- If you’re into photography, start making your own “moving picture-stories” by making photography slideshows in iMovie.
- If you’re interested in film, cinema, or video– just start recording your own videos and mini-films, and upload them to YouTube!
- If you’re interested in rap/poetry, just write some lines and post the lyrics to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or your own blog.
- Make your own blog, and treat it like a public sketchbook/visual diary. Build your own wordpress.org website with bluehost.com or 1and1.com. More info in my Photography Entrepreneurship Course on Udemy.
Alternate between making stuff and finding inspiration from other artists
I think having a ‘barbell’ approach to art is good:
- Spend time making your own artwork
- Spend time finding inspiration from other artists
When you don’t have the energy, motivation, or inspiration to work on your own artwork, alternate– study the artwork of the master artists of the past.
Then when you re-spark your passion and find inspiration from the other master artists, go back to making your own art!
Keep this cycle (positive feedback loop), and you will never get bored in life!
If you want some artwork to study, this is who I recommend:
- Photography: Inge Morath, Garry Winogrand, Henri Cartier-Bresson
- Cinema: Stanley Kubrick, Akira Kurosawa
- Visual art: Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci, Matisse
# How to Make More Art
INSPIRE YOURSELF with HAPTIC.
- How to Express Your Creative Instinct
- Avoid Anything That Makes You Unproductive in Your Art
- Pictures Should Stimulate Your Life!
- How to Create More Pictures
- How to Shoot More Photos
- How to Be a Passionate Photographer
- Make More Than You Take
- NEVER COMPROMISE.
- Why Photography is the Best Art Form.
- How to become unstuck.
- How to Become a FEARLESS Artist
- KANDINSKY: THE ARTIST IS THE PROPHET
- How to Have More Creative Confidence in Your Photography
- How to Make More Art
- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
- How Not to Give a Fuck What Others Think of Your Photography
- Is Photography Art?
- Leonardo da Vinci: Art, Photography, and Life Lessons
- How to Make Better Photos
- The Art of Street Photography
- The Art of Photography
- How to Conquer Your Fears in Art
- How to Be a More Productive Artist
- How to Have More Confidence as an Artist
- Make Photos for the Sake of Making Photos
- Make, Don’t Take Photos
- Perfect Pearl
- Make Photos to Delight Your Soul
- Revel in Your Defective Artistry
- Photography is Poetry Without Words
- Labor to Make Your Photos Concise