A fun epiphany I had in photography: SHOOT MORE COLOR to thrive more in your photography!
Color puts a smile on my face! :)
So I recently did something fun in WordPress.org (on this blog): I started to search some old “tags” of colors in my “Media Library”. For example, I searched the words Yellow, Blue, Red, Red-Green, etc. I then ended up re-discovering all these wonderful colors I photographed in the past, categorized by each color. This gave me a HUGE rush of joy– just seeing all of these different colors arranged nicely stimulated my eyes, and my artistic juices.
The rainbow project, described.
Therefore I had this little idea for a photography project: it is the “rainbow” project.
The basic concept is this:
- In your photography, seek to document and photograph ALL the colors of the rainbow (ROYGBIV: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet and every hue~). You can do this in different ways. First of all, over a long period of time, you can just keep shooting colorful stuff you have (then categorize the colors afterwards), or you can purposefully give yourself a ‘creative constraint‘ of only shooting a certain color in a certain day. For example, for a certain day, ONLY shoot the color red. Or another day, ONLY shoot the color blue. This will help stimulate your eyes to better see certain colors. For further learning on how to see more as a photographer, pick up a copy of my book, “HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography“.
- Or, you can look back at your old media library of all of your photos, and then spend a few hours categorizing all of the different colors you’ve already photographed. Then ask yourself, “What colors do I like the best?” I have found for myself, I am really drawn to the color red– and the color itself re-evokes passion, energy, and a zest for living!
If you need some inspiration for color photographers, I recommend studying or looking at the work of:
- Sean Lotman
- Maarten Rots
- Martin Parr
- William Eggleston
- Stephen Shore
- Alex Webb
- Constantine Manos
- David Alan Harvey
- Bruce Davidson (Subway Project)
- ERIC KIM CHROMA PROJECT on YouTube
Learn how to shoot color
If you want to learn how to take better color photos, resources below:
- New eBook: HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, Editing in Photography
- Red and Green Composition Color Theory For Photographers
- Abstract Color Pictures
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Color Photography
- Opponent Process Color Theory For Photographers
- Color Theory For Photographers
Have fun, and be colorful!
Add some more color to your life with limited-edition Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION >
See all HAPTIC INDUSTRIES products on AMAZON >
My personal favorite color photos