I’m a huge fan of VSCO, and if you use the “free” version of VSCO, I highly recommend signing up for their paid subscription service (VSCO X).
1. No hidden strings
Okay with Instagram, you’re a slave to advertisements. With VSCO X there are no hidden strings.
I’m a technologist and skeptic.
In Silicon Valley there is a saying:
If the product you use is free, then you are the product.
Therefore if you pay a monthly or yearly subscription to VSCO X, you know you’re not gonna get bullshit advertising, or having your personal data being sold to advertisers (what Instagram / Facebook does).
2. VSCO is the anti-social media
I love VSCO because you can share your photos, and not care about stupid likes, or comments.
The user interface is clean, and works well on both mobile and desktop.
Honestly, I think VSCO is the best thing to happen to the photography world since KODAK. #REALTALK
3. The presets are gorgeous
I have met Zack, one of the co-founders of VSCO and the engineer of the presets. I can personally vouch for him that he genuinely loves photography. He’s driven not by profit. He’s driven by helping photographers make more beautiful images.
VSCO has the best presets, bar none. Nothing comes close.
And to be honest adding a good preset to your photos will make them look more aesthetically beautiful. Like adding a little salt, pepper, and garlic to a nice T-bone steak.
If you can afford $3 espressos, you can afford VSCO X Paid membership.
I’m excited to see all the community building things they will do, their new presets, and social media innovations.
Even now, I’m intrigued by the new HTC 11 U phone. Maybe I’ll ditch the Ricoh, and instead just use the HTC and just process with VSCO. And for professional work, use a digital medium format camera.
Of course you can still use VSCO for free. Just pay for their A6 series presets for colors, they are divine.
Lastly it’s good to show your support with your dollars. Your money is your vote in terms of what you support. I love the idea of paying for services and companies you love.
The best camera is a phone:
- Phone Street Photography Tips
- How to take Better Photos on Your Phone
- Is iPhone a real camera?
- The Holy Grail of Photography
- 10 Reasons Why Your Smartphone is the Best Camera
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to iPhone/Smartphone Photography
- 7 Benefits of Shooting Street Photography With a Smartphone
- What if Smartphones Had The Same Image Quality as DSLR’s?
- My Experience Shooting Street Photography With A Smartphone vs Medium-Format
- Why the 4’’ iPhone SE Will Revolutionize Photography
- In Street Photography, The Smaller the Camera, the Better
- 10 New Tips How to Master Shooting Street Photography With the iPhone
- 3 Reasons Why You Should Use the iPhone 5 For Street Photography by Mike Avina
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.