Practical tips and ideas:
1. Think triangles
Triangles are one of the best photography composition tips. The way to do it:
When you are shooting, try to arrange your subjects in a triangle.
2. Poetry in motion
Poetry in motion means:
Make photos as people are walking and moving.
As a consequence your compositions are far more likely, dynamic, and epic.
3. Look for the “V”
4. Leading Lines
The purpose of composition: to add focus to the primary subject or your photo. For this, leading lines are extremely effective.
Theory of great composition
This is my general thought on how to make better compositions:
A great composition moves you; emotionally and physically. It is both practical and philosophical.
If you make photos that inspire you to live more, move more, explore more, your photo compositions are great.
To keep it simple, just shoot a lot. Keep your compositions simple and strong, and always select your best photos. To judge your compositions, sketch them, screenshot them and trace them. This will help guide you in terms of making better compositions:
Shoot, analyze photos you like, and take the learning lessons and apply it to the streets!
Also don’t miss out on my new online composition workshops (few spots left):
- May 23rd: Dynamic Photography Introduction Composition Online Workshop – (email firstname.lastname@example.org for special bundled rate for this workshop and the advanced workshop)
- May 30th: Advanced Street Photography Composition Workshop–(email email@example.com for special bundled rate for this workshop and the Dynamic Introduction Composition workshop)
More composition resources: COMPOSITION 101 >
- Helmut Newton Photography Composition Studies
- W. Eugene Smith Composition Studies
- PDF: ERIC KIM Photography Composition Studies
- PDF: Josef Koudelka Photography Composition Studies
- PDF: Richard Avedon Photography Composition Studies
- PDF: Henri Cartier-Bresson Photography Composition Studies
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.