Is there such thing as “ideal” aesthetics in photography?
Aesthetics as the philosophy of beauty
What do you consider beautiful? This is the beginning of studying aesthetics, which is the philosophy of beauty.
Thus when we talk about “image quality”, we really mean to talk about aesthetics.
It is clear that the aesthetics of a digital medium format camera or film is superior to a smartphone image. But why is this?
The bigger the sensor of the camera, the better the dynamic range of the image. This means more information between the darks and lights in an image.
Furthermore, colors are richer, more vibrant, and thus more beautiful. My theory on why we like vibrant colors:
Vibrant colors looks like delicious and juicy fruit.
Certainly we have evolved to determine which fruits are delcious and nutritious. And our eyesight works to determine the nutritive power of fruits and other food items.
Red and green
For example, red and green for strawberries. The same aesthetic applies to photos.
Black and white as abstracted reality
Monochrome is fascinating to me because you’re abstracting reality and turning it into art.
For example this circus photo by RICHARD AVEDON:
Now what is the benefit of an image like this?
For me, it inspires me to move! The photograph motivates me!
This is my aspiration with my own photos:
Make photos which inspire and motivates others to make their own photos, to move more, and to live/create/dream more!
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- The Film Shooter
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
Street Photography Starter Kit
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
MUSE by KIM
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography