I want to give you some practical ideas on “buying happiness”—via buying experiences, not gear and stuff.
Why I love to travel
Let me break this down.
The benefits of traveling or living abroad (one of my favorite experiences)：
- Novel experiences that push you outside of your comfort zone. Allows for growth opportunities, and questioning your own cultural customs, and perhaps changing how you live your life for the better.
- Having novel experiences which will always bring back pleasant memories, regardless of your life circumstances. For example, remembering enjoying a nice Kirin beer by the Kyoto river with Cindy and heading the soft current of the water. This is much more memorable and meaningful than just looking at a new couch, new car, or new camera, new phone, new gadget…because all physical things and stuff will eventually lose the novelty.
You don’t need much stuff to be happy
Traveling is probably the best “bang for the buck” way to buy you happiness.
Why? It forces you to travel light. When I travel, I just wear the same outfit, and try to have as little things as possible. Therefore, it reminds me：“I don’t need a lot of physical things to be happy.”
The joy of traveling with family or friends
Another bonus of traveling with family, friends, or loved ones： finally having the time to speak uninterrupted, by the distractions of life back home. For the best and deepest conversations, make sure NOT to buy internet connectivity for your phone or devices. Less screen time, more face to face time.
Investing in learning experiences
Experiences can be attending classes, workshops, or any educational opportunity. The wisdom, knowledge, that you will learn from these courses will stay with you for a lifetime.
Books are experiences
I also see books as an experience, not just a thing or object. Why? With a book, I experience it, and am transported into a different world, of awe, wonder, and excitement and opportunity. It elevates my mind and spirit. It makes me excited for life.
Gear and things decay.
No matter how cool your new sports car or Porsche, with enough time, the headlights will turn yellow and ugly.
No matter how new your iPhone, it will be outdated in 2 years.
Your life is short.
MEMENTO MORI: at best, you might live to be 120. And no, we will never be able to “upload our consciousness to the cloud”, nor find the magic pill for immortality. And we wouldn’t want to anyways— because DEATH is what makes life sweet.
Without hunger, we wouldn’t feel pleasure in eating food. Without boredom, we could not experience excitement. Without heartbreak, we could not experience love.
Experiences are what makes us who we are. Experiences via who we talk to, what we study, what we make, and how we experience the world. How we interpret the world.
Ain’t nobody gonna be in their deathbed and wishing to themselves,
I wish I had more money, objects, cars, clothes, gadgets, cameras, and stuff.
No. We would think on our lives, and think about our MEMORIES and EXPERIENCES, and the things we CREATED in our lives.
To live a more fulfilling life, MAKE and CREATE things. And one of the best ways to find motivation or inspiration, is to travel, learn, and invest in experiences, not stuff.
It also means to savour the limited time you have on planet earth with your loved ones. Never forget to express your gratitude towards them, your appreciation, your love, your words of affirmation, and your actions to show you care for them.
So in photography and life… are you making pictures to make more meaning in your life? And what does it matter which camera you use? Why do you make pictures, and for whom?
Never stop questioning yourself, and always have faith in yourself.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
Street Photography Starter Kit
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- The Film Shooter
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
MUSE by KIM