If you want to be cool, don’t buy a DSLR camera.
First, they are big and heavy. You will make fewer photos with a DSLR. And true happiness in photography is making a lot of photos. I say stick with your phone.
Second, DSLR cameras just don’t look cool. Ugly design.
Third, Having a bit camera doesn’t mean you are more “pro” or cool. Rather whenever I see someone with a DSLR, I think they’re a “noob.”
Fourth, transferring files from your camera to your laptop is a pain. Using a “connected camera” (aka, a phone camera) makes life easier. You can use your phone to shoot, edit your photos, and share.
Fifth, you’ll never be satisfied. DSLR cameras get outdated very quickly, and you can never have enough lenses.
If you cannot afford a DSLR don’t desire one. Honestly, they’re overrated.
The only folks who really need a DSLR are probably wedding photographers.
If you want an affordable camera, I shoot with a RICOH GR II.
If you’re rich and want good image quality, buy a medium format digital camera like the Pentax 645z. I think digital medium format cameras are the future.
Otherwise, just stick with your iPhone or Smartphone camera.
And lastly, don’t care so much about the camera or tool you use.
For street photography and daily photography, just use the smallest camera possible.
If you have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), my suggestion:
Whenever you have an urge to buy a new camera or piece of gear, buy a photo book instead.
Also invest your money into traveling, having nice espressos at the coffee shop, taking your friends out for dinner or a beer, or investing in education, workshops, or experiences.
Money can buy happiness. But only if you invest it into yourself, experiences, and improving yourself and mind.
HOW TO CONQUER G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
GAS: (Gear Acquisition Syndrome): wanting to buy new cameras, because you feel like your photos aren’t good enough, because your camera isn’t good enough:
- Why You Shouldn’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- PHOTOGRAPHY SLAVES
- How to Conquer GAS
- How to Stop Pixel-Peeping
- Why I Shoot With One Camera and One Lens
- 30 Tips to Conquer G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
- Gear Allergy Syndrome
- Disregard Differences, Notice Similarities
- More Megapixels, More Problems
- Sensor Envy
- If Your Camera Isn’t Good Enough, Your Camera isn’t Expensive Enough
- How to Be Grateful For What You Have
- Having No Choices is the Ultimate Freedom
- Technology Won’t Fix Your Problems
- Why is Image Quality Important?
- Why Sharpness is Overrated in Street Photography