Sharpness is over-rated in street photography. Even Henri Cartier-Bresson once said, “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.”
I remember when I first saw one of HCB’s exhibitions in person in Paris, I was surprised by how soft most of his shots were. And many of his photos were significantly out of focus (thinking about the famous shot of the man in a bullfighter’s ring in Spain (above).
When I stated street photography, I was obsessed with sharpness. This of course, was due to all the nerds on gear forums who showed corner to corner sharpness tests on brick walls. I was suckered into thinking a sharp photo was a good photo.
However once I discovered the work or Daido Moriyama, I realized that a good photo didn’t need to be sharp. In-fact, a grainy, out of focus, and soft photo often had more mood, emotion, and soul than an uber-sharp photo:
Even when I shoot digital, I try to get my digital shots to look like my film shots. I add grain and grittiness — and what I get in return is a less clinical image.
And of course when shooting film, I make an image that (to me) has more character and soul. I get physical light hitting a piece of paper, recording the light– rather than a computer recording a bunch of 1’s and 0’s.
So what does this mean practically in street photography?
Well, you don’t need a super high resolution camera or a super sharp lens. Don’t get me wrong, I love high detail (large format Richard Avedon images amaze me) and sharpness for the aesthetic, but that alone doesn’t make a good photograph.
Some of my favorite photos are the ones that are gritty and imperfect. The work of Daido Moriyama, Anders Peterson, and Jacob Aue Sobol all speak to me on a deep level. With color photography, I love prefer the film work of Alex Webb, Steve McCurry, Martin Parr, Stephen Shore, William Eggleston, and Joel Sternfeld.
Don’t be a slave of the camera. Make the camera your slave (what Araki said that Daido Moriyama did). Daido has been using a cheap film point and shoot Ricoh GR more or less his entire career — and made much more emotional shots than his peers with super slick Leicas or medium format cameras. He shot with his heart, soul, and gut. While I don’t like a lot of Daidos photos individually, I like the mood I get from his photos as a whole.
So don’t worry about gear, nerd sharpness tests, and lens chromatic abbreviation blah blah blah.
Who cares how sharp your lenses are? It is far more important to have a sharp eye and a loving heart.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- The Film Shooter
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
MUSE by KIM
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
Street Photography Starter Kit
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM